7 replies to this topic

#1 Reidbook

Reidbook

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:12 PM

Hi all, I’ve been flicking through old Mini mags and discovered CKD (completely knocked down) Minis, and I’m wondering if there are many differences between UK mk1’s and Irish built ones? I’m aware that there was a few differences with Denmark.

Extra question: I’m looking for a first car and quite fancy a MK1 Mini, are the CKDs worth any less? Due to distinct lack of money.

TIA Adam

Edited by Reidbook, 08 September 2019 - 05:12 PM.

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:33 PM

Ireland was an interesting market for BMC as, for a short while, not only were they importers, but they were a CKD assembly operation:-

https://www.aronline...-world-ireland/

I don't think CKD would make any difference to the value of a Mk1 Mini.......if known to be CKD it might even make it more valuable due to rarity!

#3 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:49 AM

The CKD built in Ireland were body-wise and mechanically the same as UK spec cars but they did have to include a percentage of locally sourced materials. The glass was made locally and marked as so (standard size) and the tyres were made in Ireland. Interiors are the main difference that sometimes show up with different stitch patterns or colours. For some people in Ireland the preference is for genuine Irish cars.

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:24 AM

The CKD built in Ireland were body-wise and mechanically the same as UK spec cars but they did have to include a percentage of locally sourced materials. The glass was made locally and marked as so (standard size) and the tyres were made in Ireland. Interiors are the main difference that sometimes show up with different stitch patterns or colours. For some people in Ireland the preference is for genuine Irish cars.

The wiring looms were said to be local, and didn't use the same colour coding, but I have never come across one to prove it.

#5 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:03 PM

Ireland used the same same colours .

Innocenttii used different colours but they were not CKD.

Edited by viz139, 09 September 2019 - 10:05 PM.

#6 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:29 AM

The earliest Innocenti minis were CKD but they did start to make their own body panels and many of the other parts were sourced locally. Innocenti was only acquired by British Leyland in 1972 but they had a different license agreement with John Cooper allowing them to use the name until 1975. They produced their own model, the Mini Cooper 1300 from 1972 to 1975. That was not the same as a Cooper S nor did it have the same engine but it shared some of its components.

#7 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:24 AM

CKD Coopers and S's are generally worth a fair bit less when imported to the UK. It seems to be less of a difference for other models.

#8 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:36 AM

All my minis have been fully built at longbridge but then slowly knocked themselves back down into kit form!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users