3 replies to this topic

#1 mark205gti

mark205gti

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:33 AM

I have removed the oil gallery plugs (x4) from the block during my rebuild. I am now about to install back in new oil gallery plugs (12G3503 solid type from minisport).

They seem pretty tight. I was planning on just hammering them in with a punch. Is this ok or should they be pressed in? Or should I get the non-solid 12G3503 brass from minispares, or just tap the holes m14x1.5 and install grub screws?

Cheers

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:29 AM

Solid plugs that are a tight fit can be an issue. They can (and usually do) 'broach' on the block as they are going in. In doing so, there's a small chance some swarf can end up in the Main Oil Galley. They do need to be a tight fit and I do fit them with Loctite, not just to hold them, but also to assist with sealing.

The Pressed Plugs are better in this regards.

It's also a good idea to 'stake' the holes to retain the plugs if they should want to go for a walk, with either type of Plug.

I personally prefer Screwed Plugs.

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:11 AM

I re use the old ones, gormmed with Hylomar.

I drill 2/3 deep into one of the plugs and tap it 1/4" to insert a bolt to pull it out, then knock the other out with a rod.

Before re inserting, I give them a smack on the anvil with a lump hammer to swell them.

There may be 80 psi in the gallery, but the plug face is only fractions of a square inch, so there is only about 15 lb pushing on it.

#4 grizzler73

grizzler73

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:07 PM

I tapped mine and grub screwed (M14 I think?!), but my engine will be rebuilt pretty regularly

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users