12 replies to this topic

#1 GT Gray

GT Gray

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:15 PM

Time for an oil change on the old GT as in the title does anyone add ZDDP to their 20/50 ?

Cheers for now.

#2 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:24 PM

zddp can be overdone, personally i would just get a suitable oil, Millers CTV, Valvoline VR1 etc

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:31 PM

as above too much can cause damage.

#4 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:31 PM

Never have done, am just "anal" about changing the oil often, way more than it should be changed, but then I am tight, I keep it and throw it in me lawn mower / cultivator etc or paint my allotment shed in it :-)

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:08 PM

No need to. Just use a quality 20w50 oil with a high ZDDP level such as Valvoline Racing VR1 or one of the Mini-specific oils from Mini Spares.

#6 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:00 AM

I currently use the Halfords stuff - as do many,  because its easily available for a spur of the moment oil change

But I will be getting some valvoline in  soon as it has the higher ZDDP content and I do the occasional sprint and speed trial in my min.

Consensus on other classic car forums is that the Halfords is absoloutely fine for everyday classics but if your car is tuned , or a higher performance than your average 60's engine then Valvoline or the others with higher is a better choice.

The below is from a post on the Rover P6 site which goes into detail about  PPM and percentages if you are interested...

I wouldn't want to put anyone off the halfords stuff as I have used it in my mini - other cars I own or have owned ,  and many report no issues at all

I suspect with low use and frequent changes there are far worse things to worry about that we can do to damage our engines - incorrect timing or poor fuel/air mixture for example - 

oil-zddp.jpg

Edited by Matt Brighton, 15 September 2019 - 05:20 PM.

#7 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:55 AM

That table is a great resource! I was planning to use Castrol Xl (which I've been using without issue in an MGA and a Lancia for years) but I will look for an alternative now.

#8 GT Gray

GT Gray

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:09 PM

Thanx for the info guys really useful.

Cheers Gray

#9 GT Gray

GT Gray

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:28 PM

OK might be a topic for discussion but - back in around 1970 I ran a Mk 3 cooper s engine on now wait for It - Agricultural tractor oil,from what I remember it’s was Texaco 20/40 so that would have been a detergent based oil as it was meant for diesel tractors.The oil was changed frequently.

Don’t ask why I used it I was young and skint and had a free ready supply.

That engine had a hard life with a 19/20 year old and I did 50,000 miles, when I sold it it was running sweet.

Guess I was lucky ?

#10 Pete - W.Sussex

Pete - W.Sussex

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:15 AM

Driven HR1 mineral for me. If I was using it a lot and changing the oil frequently, or racing, I might use their semi synth 20/50.

#11 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:38 AM

Well depends on the oil I guess, Modern deisil oils have a lot of additives, i'd imagine oils of that era were probably not as detergent heavy, so it probably wasnt too much of an issue.

OK might be a topic for discussion but - back in around 1970 I ran a Mk 3 cooper s engine on now wait for It - Agricultural tractor oil,from what I remember it’s was Texaco 20/40 so that would have been a detergent based oil as it was meant for diesel tractors.The oil was changed frequently.

Don’t ask why I used it I was young and skint and had a free ready supply.

That engine had a hard life with a 19/20 year old and I did 50,000 miles, when I sold it it was running sweet.

Guess I was lucky ?

#12 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:37 PM

This question comes up a lot, and my advice to those who ask it is to mix the additive in a quart of oil before you pour it in the engine, Once done start it and run or drive it for a while to make sure it gets well mixed.

The better course is just to buy an oil with the correct amount of additive in it.

The stories I've heard have been folks who simply pour it in on top of an oil change and call it good. It can work its way to the bottom of the sump and stay there if you don't run the engine and get it thoroughly mixed.

#13 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:20 PM

As above I wouldn't add any additional ZDDP to an engine oil... except when running in a new camshaft as recommended by David Vizard/Hot Rod Magazine.  I would then drop the oil after 100 miles and then swap to a proper oil that has the right level of additives for the application e.g. Millers CTV or Millers Mini Oil that is designed for the combined engine and gearbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users