#1 bangermadness08

bangermadness08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:27 PM

Hi guys,
So finally after 4hyrs the cat has started first time it was running a bit lumpy but that was to be expected what wasnt expected was the sheer heat and smoke coming from the exhaust system from the engine.
It has a new water pump fitted the fan belt I can turn about 90° so it is tight but not loose I took the top hose off and inside feels damp but not wet

I dont want to keep trying incase I brake it or it catches fire but just need to know please guys what's best course of action

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:43 PM

Hi guys,                              Cat or car ?
So finally after 4hyrs the cat has started, first time it was running a bit lumpy, but that was to be expected, what wasnt expected was the sheer heat and smoke coming from the exhaust system from the engine.Out of the exhaust    or         outside the exhaust ?
It has a new water pump fitted the fan belt I can turn about 90° so it is tight but not loose I took the top hose off and inside feels damp but not wet                                   

I dont want to keep trying incase I brake it or it catches fire but just need to know please guys what's best course of action

Make sure the rad is full of water next time you start it up, and have a handy hose dribbling water over the exhaust if you are worried about too much heat as it settled down.

Edited by DeadSquare, 10 September 2019 - 02:44 PM.

#3 bangermadness08

bangermadness08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:53 PM

Rad is full and still is after starting up and running has gone round the system. Tested thermostat and it worked fine water was sitting at the head level underneath thermo bracket. Smoke from the exhaust outlet underneath the injectors blue/white colour

#4 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:15 PM

Which water pump did you fit?

I had an overheating issue with my son's Mini even after fitting a new water pump. Swapped the pump again for the Minispares version with the glass filled Nylon impeller and it's been perfect since.

#5 bangermadness08

bangermadness08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:18 PM

WATER PUMP LATE TYPE CAST ROTOR NO BYPASS HOSE TO 1996 (from mini spares website)
Its this one that I'm certain I got but was a long time ago!

#6 bangermadness08

bangermadness08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:08 AM

So I've read that drilling holes about 3/4 3mm on the t stat flange is a good idea for ones that dont have a bypass hose required? Mines fitted with a 88°c stat and has one little hole made from factory

#7 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:52 AM

If I'm understanding correctly, when you fitted the new water pump you changed to a version without the bypass?

#8 bangermadness08

bangermadness08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:44 AM

It's an spi so never had one fitted from factory

#9 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:22 AM

Of course ... I forgot which forum section we're in! 

#10 bangermadness08

bangermadness08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:16 AM

I'm gonna give the radiator a flush buy an 82c thermo add a few holes to increase the flow of coolant until the stat opens and see if that runs and better!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users