4 replies to this topic

#1 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:27 PM

Apart from minis my other vehicular love has always been landrover.
Sure to divide opinions just like Bini.
Here's the latest

https://youtu.be/vac6mJE8rqo

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:59 PM

I had a Series II Land Rover and like the Mini you get to know every part of the vehicle and it's down to you as the driver to get the best from it.  Great to work on too.  Not so sure the same can be said for the new versions.  Also after sixty years my old Land Rover's still on the road and going strong.  The new ones in sixty years time?

#3 surfblue

surfblue

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:59 PM

I had a Series II Land Rover and like the Mini you get to know every part of the vehicle and it's down to you as the driver to get the best from it.  Great to work on too.  Not so sure the same can be said for the new versions.  Also after sixty years my old Land Rover's still on the road and going strong.  The new ones in sixty years time?

Probably not I fear!

As much as I admire the technology and capability that all new landrovers have straight out of the showroom I fear they have lost their direction, Gerry McGovern has much to answer for.

I believe the last "proper" Landrover was the Discovery 2, seperate chassis, beam axles and low ratio transfer box. A car I owned and loved or 11 years. Its replacement, my Freelander 2, is basically a chunky but capable estate car, nice enough but doesnt have the character or driver involvement of the Disco.

And there is nothing in the current range that interests me much at all, The new Defender will also be a chunky and capable car I have no doubt and the styling will appeal to all those 'lifestyle' families out there. I have no doubt that many a rugged Chelsea kerb will be conquered by these good folk too. I just dont think its me, my bank account certainly doesnt. I'll maybe see how they fair for a few years reliability wise and if the look grows on me as we become used to them on the roads.

Good luck with it Landrover!

#4 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:07 PM

I was lucky enough to grow up on a farm and can remember the "series" Landies and have very fond memories of these amazing vehicles.

The one I loved the best was an old series 1 21/4 litre petrol with a very fierce clutch, it was either in or out with no biting point!

My second best was the 1971 21/4 litre diesel which used to take 10 minutes to start in the winter and covered the whole farmyard in thick grey smoke when it eventually started! My Dad used to entertain me and my brother by driving it flat out down a local road, where we reached the dizzy heights of 55mph.....eventually!

The thing with the old series Landies was their bags of character and agricultural nature.
Not a fan of any modern landrovers especially this new one!!!

Cheers, Steve

#5 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:18 PM

If your really serious about a new old style Defender, i happen to know a man that has quite a few in storage, all ready to go.

Shooter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users