#1 Roddy55

Roddy55

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:56 PM

Hi,

Think I've got a burnt valve in my 1991 Cooper s. Are there any tutorials or u-tubr videos  out there to enable me to tackle this myself. Thanks in anticipation.

#2 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:47 PM

You didn't say why you think that you have a burnt valve.  Do a compression check to isolate which cylinder is suspect.  Then do a leakdown check to determine if the problem is the intake valve, exhaust valve or rings.  An air leak at the carb would be intake valve, hearing a hiss at the exhaust pipe would be an exhaust valve problem and an air leak at the oil dipstick would point to rings.

#3 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:54 PM

If you do have a burnt valve make sure you find out the cause of it to prevent getting same again, I had a burnt exhaust valve caused by incorrect advance curve in distributor

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 16 September 2019 - 05:53 AM

Hi,

Think I've got a burnt valve in my 1991 Cooper s. Are there any tutorials or u-tubr videos  out there to enable me to tackle this myself. Thanks in anticipation.

Type    "BMC Classic Mini Workshop manual"  into ebay................They are usually about £15/£20, or there will be lots of Haynes ones.

If you are young, you can probably find the Pdfile of the 1990's manual on line.

Changing a valve is something that you can do your self with fairly simple tools, by which I mean spanners and a feeler gauge etc:, not a hammer and pliers.

Edited by DeadSquare, 16 September 2019 - 05:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users