#1 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:20 PM

Hi Experts!

Looking for some advice after fitting a new laminated windscreen to replace my old scratched one. The new screen, new rubber seal and new chrome strip went in OK. It was all a bit tight, but thats expected, right? Only plastic tools and lube were used on the screen - no metal screwdrivers. Next day, everything still fine! But a few days later a crack has appeared from top to bottom in the middle of the screen. Behold!

48721473946_b0072d50dd_o.jpg

48721650672_9d353e1913_o.jpg

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong to cause this? Some more info:

The scuttle was replaced when I restored the shell which makes me wonder if the apeture is still the correct shape / size. That said, I have had my original screen in and have been driving around for 1 year + with no issues. 

I've measured the apeture and I have 41.4cm top to bottom in the middle and all the way across until it narrows slightly towards the corners. Can anyone point me to correct dimensions for the windscreen apeture?

I've got no idea how I would confirm that the curvature of the apeture is correct in order to rule out the screen being under lateral tension which might cause it to snap in the middle, but if it is somehow wrong I don't think I can really do anything about it at this point without major bodywork modification.

The original screen I'm trying to replace (because scratched) is a triplex hardened item which appears to be much stronger than this laminated one which has broken. Can't seem to find anything like the old version available to buy online though. Is it expected that laminated screens are just weaker?

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated!

#2 Dr s

Dr s

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:47 PM

I’d pull it out and have a good look at the frame for a high spot. I reckon you’ve got a fair chance the next one will be fine.

#3 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:01 PM

Have you put any other type of pressure about the screen

By this I mean do you use the frame around the screen of the car to pull yourself out or ease yourself getting in ? Some people do using their left hand and this can cause a stress which in turn creates a pressure

Have you done any other type of work or rested anything heavy on the roof or scuttle area

This is what happened to me on our Rover - just because I was pulling myself out using the pillar as I had a bad back at the time.  £120.00 later !!

Just throwing ideas in to the pot

#4 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:16 PM

I’d pull it out and have a good look at the frame for a high spot. I reckon you’ve got a fair chance the next one will be fine.

Yes its out already and I have examined and measured the frame but there is nothing obvious to see. Its smooth all round.

Have you put any other type of pressure about the screen

The only thing I can think of is when I refitted the rear view mirror, I struggled to get it in place up against the windscreen seal, so might have exerted too much pressure? Surely not more than I would have been pressing on the screen to get it in though.

I haven't driven the car since installing the screen so it hasn't been touched otherwise.

#5 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:50 PM

I would have left it in and had it "glued".

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:11 PM

By any chance did you have the car on a Jack and drop it? Just trying to think out the box

#7 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:25 PM

I've had a new screen crack in the past, the car was on jack stands when installed and it cracked when being lowered off them. I put it down to flex in the shell.

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:28 PM

I've had a new screen crack in the past, the car was on jack stands when installed and it cracked when being lowered off them. I put it down to flex in the shell.

Been there, done that too

#9 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:42 PM

Pretty much resolved to just order another one now and see what happens.

The car wasn’t on a jack at the time or since. Best guess is shoving the rear view mirror fitting in was the cause.

#10 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:55 PM

If you are not competing, why not fit a toughened one.

If you are competing, why not fit a perspex one.

#11 matt615

matt615

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:05 PM

It might have been a flaw in the new screen from when it was manufactured, or you were just unlucky.

Go ahead and fit another one and you’ll probably be ok.

#12 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,843 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:26 PM

Toughened screens are way more flexible than laminated screens, so they'll put up with more distortion than a laminated one.

Can you still buy toughened Windscreens ?  Not that I would ever run with one these days.

Before fitting up the new screen, with the glass and rubber removed, with a couple of assistants, hold the screen up to the aperture and carefully check they are both the same shape and that there's an even gap all the way around, at least the thickness of the centre section of the rubber.

Also, if the Rubber is too long, it will want to distort the glass and try to break it.

#13 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:59 PM

Toughened screens are way more flexible than laminated screens, so they'll put up with more distortion than a laminated one.

Can you still buy toughened Windscreens ? Not that I would ever run with one these days.

Before fitting up the new screen, with the glass and rubber removed, with a couple of assistants, hold the screen up to the aperture and carefully check they are both the same shape and that there's an even gap all the way around, at least the thickness of the centre section of the rubber.

Also, if the Rubber is too long, it will want to distort the glass and try to break it.

I agree with this Chris, I'd like to add... it would be wise to make sure the seal is going in the correct way, there is a difference from the centre of the fillet strip aperture to inner and outer lips of the seal.

The reason I said this was my fitter and I battled an MPI screen for 4 hours (used screen but new seal and fillet strip).

We fitted a spare toughened screen but it was still far too tight, even without the fillet. When my fitter came back, we tried rolling the seal so the inside(window side) became the outside(shell side)

Check the measurements on the seal, the larger side is the side that goes onto the shell.

Apologies for the ramblings but best to complete the story eh?

Regards

Cal

#14 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:21 AM

Check the measurements on the seal, the larger side is the side that goes onto the shell.

And there we have it! 

Is that definitely true? If so that must be what I am doing wrong. I assumed the larger side was the glass side because the glass is thicker than the metal. I may kick myself!

#15 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:31 AM

Just an observation on this topic. I bought a new screen seal (latest type) for my wifes 83 mini to refit the old screen after a respray.

The seal wouldn't go around the screen off the car so I fitted the seal to the car and tried that way. It fitted but then the screen wouldn't squeeze into the slit even with loads of lubricant.

It turned out that the more modern screens which are suitable for the new type seal are thicker than the older ones and that's why my screen wouldn't fit. Discarded the new seal and re-used the old one. Perfect fit.

Maybe this information is a possible explanation of your screen cracking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users