Photo
- - - - -

Burning Oil And White Smoke

Best Answer MiniMadRacer , 17 September 2019 - 10:55 AM

4 looks low...Dry to wet but yet its the highest over all which seems odd.... what colour are the plugs after the car has run up to normal temp?

Was / is your battery fully charged by the way ?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Macker1

Macker1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:17 AM

Plugs are abit black on all, yes car was run upto normal and battery is new.

#17 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:20 AM

If all plugs "match" colour wise I wouldn't have thought you have a "Gasket" issue, and figures to me suggest you don't have a Gasket issue.. interesting to see what others think

#18 Macker1

Macker1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:25 AM

I don't think it's the head gasket. Hopefully someone can advise me..

#19 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:45 AM

I think the valves can do with a relap and the head decoked but see what someone else says

#20 Macker1

Macker1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:05 PM

I think the valves can do with a relap and the head decoked but see what someone else says

I know this may sound stupid, but what to you mean by relap?

#21 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,895 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:47 PM

I would agree the figures do look ok with some potential piston ring/ bore wear on 3 and 4.

Several things here to look at. The carb itself, is it adjusted correctly?? possible bent needle, no oil in the dash pot, possible air leak making things go lean on initial acceleration?? All of these things can cause power issues along with timing.

Ref the valves. Re lapping is when you remove each valve in turn, look at the seat in the head and valve itself. If there are no signs of pitting etc, you then use grinding paste to lap the two surfaces together, the surfaces being the valve seat in the head and the contact face of the valve. When done correctly it should be a even grey finish.

If the valve seat shows signs of pitting / burning / damage then its time to have them replaced. The same applies to the valves. This is the time you also look at the valve guides for wear and of course the vale stem seals. Just to say doing it with a drill is quick but hand lapping will give you more leeway.

#22 Macker1

Macker1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:00 PM

I would agree the figures do look ok with some piston ring wear.

Several things here to look at. The carb itself, is it adjusted correctly?? possible bent needle, no oil in the dash pot, possible air leak making things go lean on initial acceleration??

Ref the valves. Re lapping is when you remove each valve in turn, look at the seat in the head and valve itself. If there are no signs of pitting etc, you then use grinding paste to lap the two surfaces together, the surfaces being the valve seat in the head and the contact face of the valve. When done correctly it should be a even grey finish.

If the valve seat shows signs of pitting / burning / damage then its time to have them replaced. The same applies to the valves. This is the time you also look at the valve guides for wear and of course the vale stem seals. Just to say doing it with a drill is quick but hand lapping will give you more leeway.

I have a new carb ordered, I will try that first before I strip down the engine, thanks for all your advice, I'll keep you posted on the result..??

#23 Macker1

Macker1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:35 PM

Well guys just a quick update and thanks for the advice, turned out it was the valve stem seals that needed replacing. No damage to the block. I had the head cleaned and skimmed and all new parts put in plus new unleaded seals. Car is back running and I'm now moving onto upgrading the drums to 10inc disks. Thanks again for all your advice and thanks to minifix in Dublin for helping me out..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users