5 replies to this topic

#1 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:53 PM

Any thought/opinions/experiences of cibie Oscars Vs wipac classic driving lights? Obviously a big price difference so id expect the cibies to be a lot better!

I've currently got the wipac classics with 100w osram bulbs and wiring/relay to suit. They do a cracking job of flood lighting but I just feel I'd like a bit more range. The car's not a rally or competition car but I do a lot of rural driving.

Should add I'm only taking Oscars here not super Oscars, unless it's a fully kitted out rally car I always feel that the super Oscars look too big on the front of a mini!

#2 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:59 PM

Run em both 2 up 2 down everyone’s a winner lol

#3 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:39 AM

If you need more range then you need to put the lights on the roof :D

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:04 AM

It is a very large difference in price. 

I bought a cheap set of small rectangular Ring driving lamps from Halfords once upon a time and was suprised how much better they were than the Lucas H4 headlamps I had at the time.  I've always wondered how much better Cibie driving lamps are.

My current headlamps are Cibies and these seemed worth paying extra for as the main beam has more range than the Lucas H4 headlamps ever did.

My guess is the Cibie driving lamps will have more range and will be constructed better than the Wipac lamps but how much better I don't know.  It'd be interesting to see the results of a side by side test of various lamps. 

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,031 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:17 PM

The Cibie Oscar is undoubtedly better than the Wipac, but that is reflected in the price. The Cibie is available with both 'spot' and 'driving' lenses. I have always used the 'driving' lenses with 100w halogen bulbs in both Oscar & Super-Oscar lamps.

The question is how fast you want to drive at night.

For a great 'period' look, the Lucas CLR700 is great, especially when fitted with halogen bulbs, but they are £114 each as repro units.

For real 'who turned the darkness off' lights, a pair of PIAA driving lights are fantastic.

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,031 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:20 PM

The Cibie Oscar is undoubtedly better than the Wipac, but that is reflected in the price. The Cibie is available with both 'spot' and 'driving' lenses. I have always used the 'driving' lenses with 100w halogen bulbs in both Oscar & Super-Oscar lamps.

The question is how fast you want to drive at night.

For a great 'period' look, the Lucas CLR700 is great, especially when fitted with halogen bulbs, but they are £114 each as repro units.

For real 'who turned the darkness off' lights, a pair of PIAA driving lights are fantastic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users