8 replies to this topic

#1 matrox02

matrox02

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:48 AM

Hi all, I have a 74 clubman with a 76 loom and switches and a 2 speed wiper motor, and I'm a tad confused as to why I'm getting this issue, so here it is ( and I have searched here for this issue)

Slow speed and fast speed work just fine on both settings they park when switched off as well, however my one wipe / mist wipe function does absolutely nothing, I get no power when I click the switch.
I have checked the wiring diagrams and wire continuity everywhere and it all looks fine, the pins are in the correct places as far as I can see.
now when the wipers are running before they have parked if I hold down the one wipe/mist it then stops the motor from running, is this normal operation???
Have I possibly got the wrong wiper stalk switch or something??

#2 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:38 AM

Morning

Some thing possibly wrong with the park switch on the motor ? failing that it could be a one wire issue

Sure someone will come along who have had issues with the wiper motors on a more frequent basis who can shed more light, people always willing to help on the forum.

The parks witches and their terminals can be very temperamental due to where they are situated, they hate damp

#3 jaysmini1983

jaysmini1983

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Local Club: West Country Mini's

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:16 PM

i have a 89, it does the smae, new park switch, but only slow and fast work. following

#4 matrox02

matrox02

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:25 AM

Hi all, so, ive been persistent with trying to find out whats going on, and i have found that this is actually normal, the mist function technically doesn't exist, the stalk is lieing with a misprint, and according to some people, its been that way for like 40 years??

#5 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:23 PM

Hi Matrox02
Are we talking about the 37h8285 wiper stalk fitted on the left or from 84 on, on the right if so read on.
No that's not normal. I have a 75 1275gt I fitted a new loom 74/76 but I had the dash mister and wiper switches. Totally impractical so I bought the 76 on, wiper stalk I connected all the wires to the new stalk after studying the 75 then the 76 wiring diagram because the colours had changed. The stalk now works on 2 speeds and by pressing the stalk and pulling it down the wipers work as long as your keeping it down and by simultaneously pressing it you get mist. When you let it go the water stops and the wipers park. They work independently but together if your pressing in and down on the stalk. So, the park switch is the first place to change this is a law unto itself and changes the switched live to a permanent live that cuts power when they are at the bottom of the sweep and parked (I think) if problem persists you have Wires connected wrongly or the new stalk is faulty. That is how they work and it's always worked like that on my previous mini a 1980 1275gt which I had till 92.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:34 PM

https://www.moke.com...-the-twin-stalk

Here's a better view of the bit you're interested in

wiper_switch_spring_copy.jpg

https://www.club.tri...tem/150231/view

Electrickery comes up from the park switch to feed the low speed motor windings when you turn the wipers off so they keep running until the park switch opens. When you hold down "flick wipe" the wire spring thingy connects the green supply at the column to the low speed motor via the same wires as if you selected permanent low speed.

If your wipers work on low speed and park, it can only really be that glorified hair grip in the column stalk has given up the ghost. You might be able to resuscitate it, if not it's a new stalk. 

#7 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:04 PM

Electrickery comes up from the park switch to feed the low speed motor windings when you turn the wipers off so they keep running until the park switch opens. When you hold down "flick wipe" the wire spring thingy connects the green supply at the column to the low speed motor via the same wires as if you selected permanent low speed.

If your wipers work on low speed and park, it can only really be that glorified hair grip in the column stalk has given up the ghost. You might be able to resuscitate it, if not it's a new stalk.

My Hats off Ethel!! All makes sense now.

#8 matrox02

matrox02

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 03:41 AM

Hi Matrox02
Are we talking about the 37h8285 wiper stalk fitted on the left or from 84 on, on the right if so read on.
No that's not normal. I have a 75 1275gt I fitted a new loom 74/76 but I had the dash mister and wiper switches. Totally impractical so I bought the 76 on, wiper stalk I connected all the wires to the new stalk after studying the 75 then the 76 wiring diagram because the colours had changed. The stalk now works on 2 speeds and by pressing the stalk and pulling it down the wipers work as long as your keeping it down and by simultaneously pressing it you get mist. When you let it go the water stops and the wipers park. They work independently but together if your pressing in and down on the stalk. So, the park switch is the first place to change this is a law unto itself and changes the switched live to a permanent live that cuts power when they are at the bottom of the sweep and parked (I think) if problem persists you have Wires connected wrongly or the new stalk is faulty. That is how they work and it's always worked like that on my previous mini a 1980 1275gt which I had till 92.

Yeah I have the 37H8285 but on the left, i hadnt thought to press the wiper jet while holding the mist button down though, ill give that a try

interesting, Ill have a look

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:41 AM

The issue will be in the switch itself.

If you look on the back, there's a wire link, it's only short, between two terminals, check that as well as the contacts.

The other thing that can happen with these switch is if the Wipe Motor stalls for any length of time and has moved from the Park position, then high current continues to flow through the Switch Park Contacts. This in turn, eventually causes part of the Switch to melt, either distorting the location of the Contacts and / or covering them in melted plastic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users