Photo

Can I Use A Mains Powered Amp On A 12V Car Battery?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:18 AM

Would like to make a bluetooth speaker system and on a whim I bought a blue tooth speaker system to take apart and rebuild to the look I want. I know I could use an inverter, but just wondered if there was a way without using one.

#2 jaysmini1983

jaysmini1983

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Local Club: West Country Mini's

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:35 AM

you need to make 12v to 240v, unless a boffin can say different just use an inverter. 

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:58 AM

If it includes a CD player, no chance as that will use a 50 cycle per second A/C motor.

#4 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:27 AM

Unless its a very powerfull bluetooth speaker and amp most of the smaller ones will recharge from a 5v or 12v transformer so would be easy to convert.  If your looking for something more powerfull you could get a car audio amp and feed it from a bluetooth or network audio reciever. Something like Google chromecast audio should work.

#5 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:51 PM

Unless its a very powerfull bluetooth speaker and amp most of the smaller ones will recharge from a 5v or 12v transformer so would be easy to convert.  If your looking for something more powerfull you could get a car audio amp and feed it from a bluetooth or network audio reciever. Something like Google chromecast audio should work.

Basically I have bought these with the intention of chopping them up and using the parts. 800w

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#6 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:52 PM

If it includes a CD player, no chance as that will use a 50 cycle per second A/C motor.

no CD. It's bluetooth, usb or card

#7 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:53 PM

you need to make 12v to 240v, unless a boffin can say different just use an inverter. 

It might be easier to be honest. A least i could use it in the car or home

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:39 PM

Total waste of energy. Inverters are pathetic.

to be honest get it apart and get someone who knows electrics and electronics to have a look as it may well have more than transformer in there (it has one for the USB ports) otherwise I would not bother with them or rip the insides out and mount a 12v amp.

#9 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:08 PM

Total waste of energy. Inverters are pathetic.

to be honest get it apart and get someone who knows electrics and electronics to have a look as it may well have more than transformer in there (it has one for the USB ports) otherwise I would not bother with them or rip the insides out and mount a 12v amp.
do you think I can get a small 12v amp that pumps out 800w

Edited by HUBBA.HUBBA, 19 September 2019 - 05:08 PM.

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:24 PM

Sure as what it says on the box is marketing and not real. Get inside and see what is there.

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 September 2019 - 01:09 AM

800W! Does it have a sandwich toasting facility? About a tenth of that is more likely.

An inverter could work, but you'll likely be turning 12vdc into 230vac and back again (or lower) for no benefit.

#12 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:32 AM

800W! Does it have a sandwich toasting facility? About a tenth of that is more likely.

An inverter could work, but you'll likely be turning 12vdc into 230vac and back again (or lower) for no benefit.

They arrive today and I already have a 400w inverter, so will give it a try. See what happens.

#13 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:14 AM

If you can't measure the A.C. output of the transformer yourself, find someone who can, because they can probably also measure the D.C. output voltage of the rectifier.  Hopefully it is 12 volts (or less).

Years ago, batteries were not totally enclosed and it was usually quite easy to get at the lead bars connecting the cells, so that one could take a 2,4,6,8 or 10 volt tapping off the battery.

#14 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:08 AM

The other problem you may find it does't have the necessary suppression and shielding to operate in a vechicle.

#15 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:47 AM

short answer, yes but it's complicated.

the fact that you are asking this means you don't know enough about electronics to go fiddling about with it. How you go about adapting it for the car will depend entirely on the circuitry of the amp, specifically the type of amp (class A, class D etc) and how the mains AC is converted to DC, and at what voltage.

My suggestion would be to get a PURE SINE inverter rated for your amp and hook that up to your car. Not ideal, but it is easy and will work well. Make sure your alternator can handle the extra load as well.

Otherwise if you want to do it properly, take it to someone who knows how to repair and modify radio electronics. Get them to adapt the power system to run on 14.4v DC (not 12) as well as add the necessary filters to shield the system from the electrical noise in the car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users