Photo
- - - - -

Question About Wiring Up A Reverse Light

Best Answer viz139 , 20 September 2019 - 04:47 PM

I work on an Aussi mini and the reverse light wiring was totally different to UK spec and I don't know what the SA spec is. On the UK cars the switch connects to two bullet connectors in the tunnel beside the gear select. At this point the loom enters the car under the carpet and goes up to another two bullets behind the heater where it joins the main loom.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:08 PM

So, I found out something interesting and almost expected last week. I had wired up the mkII/III lights to replace the mkIV lights on my 1275 E. I wanted to wire up a reverse light. I have a separate light that I stuck in the centre bumper bolt hole and I ran the wires from the LH reverse light to it and connected it up with bullet connectors. 

The light did not come on and I worked out that there was no issue with the light or with the earth connection. Upon checking under the glued down carpets and felt sound deadening near the selector, I found that another bodge on the car was that someone decided to just snip off the wires from the reverse light switch, so there are just two loose wires sitting on the floor near the selector. It also meant I never had reverse lights, which seems like a really bad thing now. :(

I had a look at the Haynes manual wiring diagram for a Mini with reverse lights, and I found that it shows that there should be a green wire from the switch to the lights and a green/brown wire to a heated rear screen switch (which my car does not have). 

There are some random wires under my dash, but I'm not too sure how to check which ones are for the reverse light. They have also been cut, so I would need to use the correct gauge wire to extend them and them complete the connections with bullet connectors. 

If possible, would someone mind taking a photo of how the reverse light wires run from the switch to the rest of the main loom and also what the connections between the switch and the loom should look like?

Regards,

Vinay

#2 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:59 PM

I can only advise that here in the UK it is not a requirement to have a reverse light fitted, but if its fitted it needs to work.

The switch is easy to replace, it just unscrews...

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:16 PM

I'm not sure of the wire route on the UK built cars, however, the Aust built cars had a pair or wires that ran from the switch, along the steady rod of the shifter, then clipped to the LH and front side of the front subframe, where it ran up with the rest of the engine bay harness.

One of these wires got a feed from the Fuse Box and the other ran around the firewall, disappearing up the LH front pillar, along the internal gutter (under the roof lining) appearing back out near the fuel tank and then on to the rear lights.

The way the wires got to the switch wasn't one of our best bits of work,,,,

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:41 PM

The reversing lights are not on long enough for you to worry about the cable, just choose a medium.

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:41 PM

On my 1993 car one is feed to the switch the other is a feed to the lights, the rear lights have earth points on them

#6 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:10 AM

Hi
Just fitted reversing lights to my 75 1275gt. Fit a new switch, switch unscrews and is a bit of a tight squeeze as the exhaust makes it difficult if you can't lift the car on a ramp. I used 8amp wire which I connected to a spare fuse, Haynes say you can also pick up a live from the dash. I ran the wires in heat shrink sleeves. As I had no head lining I ran it with the loom up over the A pillar and down to the boot, you could run it under the car suitably attached or under the carpet to the boot. I changed the rear light clusters to the one with the reverse lights and all works fine.

#7 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:32 AM

There was not quite enough room to unscrew the switch when I had to do it, so the exhaust had to drop, annoyingly. It took far longer doing the exhaust thing than replacing the switch. I don't know if it was because I have an RC40, but I suspect its merely poor design, like having to drop the fuel tank on a pick up to replace the sender which nearly, but not enough room to unscrew it.

I guess its a mini thing.

#8 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:46 AM

Prob easier to drop the Rod linkage rather than the exhaust I would have thought

#9 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:47 PM   Best Answer

I work on an Aussi mini and the reverse light wiring was totally different to UK spec and I don't know what the SA spec is. On the UK cars the switch connects to two bullet connectors in the tunnel beside the gear select. At this point the loom enters the car under the carpet and goes up to another two bullets behind the heater where it joins the main loom.

#10 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:52 PM

I'm not sure of the wire route on the UK built cars, however, the Aust built cars had a pair or wires that ran from the switch, along the steady rod of the shifter, then clipped to the LH and front side of the front subframe, where it ran up with the rest of the engine bay harness.

One of these wires got a feed from the Fuse Box and the other ran around the firewall, disappearing up the LH front pillar, along the internal gutter (under the roof lining) appearing back out near the fuel tank and then on to the rear lights.

I worked on an Aussi Clubman were the reverse lights were built into the rear indicators using dual filament bulbs.  The bulbs were rated 21/21watt which we connot get in Europe, can they be got is Oz?

#11 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:27 PM

The selector switch is a hot side make brake type. ie. the switch sits inline (series) of the ignition 12volts and the bulbs; and on to ground. 

#12 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:12 PM

If I'm not doing an original restoration, this is how I re-route the wiring!

I worked on an Aussi Clubman were the reverse lights were built into the rear indicators using dual filament bulbs.  The bulbs were rated 21/21watt which we connot get in Europe, can they be got is Oz?

While a little obscure, yes, they can still be found here.

Likewise, I'm sure they could also be found in the UK, like here, you might have to look around a bit. These days, I'm sure you could get an LED version. Perhaps try Spyider Design, I'm sure while he doesn't have them as a stock item, Chris will make some up for you.

Another alternative is to fit 2 Rectifier Diodes at each Tail Lamp and use the one 21 Watt Filament for each function.

#13 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:22 AM

Sorted! (Well, at least partially sorted). Whoever worked on this car before had chopped the wires for the reverse light fairly close to the mass of wires that comes into the cabin through the firewall. Anyway, after reading the comments here, I stripped the ends of the wires of the switch, and checked for continuity using a multimeter, and nothing. So, this suggests the switch needs replacing and I'm hoping I can find one locally. 

I stripped the ends of the two green wires coming off the loom and loosely tied them together. When I switched on the car, the reverse light came on, so that is definitely the reverse light wiring. I then soldered on some extensions of wires and fitted bullet connectors on the ends with some female bullet connectors too. I ran them under the carpet and now they are sitting next to the selector until I can get a new switch. 

Thanks, everyone for all the help :) 

#14 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:05 AM

The switch may only need to be adjusted. it threads into the selctor and has a locknut to set the depth. Select reverse and screw in untill you have continuity, than lock the nut.

#15 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:23 AM

I worked on an Aussi Clubman were the reverse lights were built into the rear indicators using dual filament bulbs. The bulbs were rated 21/21watt which we connot get in Europe, can they be got is Oz?
We can get them easily. If you need some pm me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users