28 replies to this topic

#1 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:15 PM

I just went to view an SPi era mini with a view to buying and I don't fit!

I've never sat in a mini with SPI seats before that I recall. Those seats are huge! (For a mini) They seem to take up too much space, pushing my noggin too far towards the roof or something and generally crowding the inside of the car?

I've never had trouble before with space for myself in a mini. My '64 mk1 over in Oz feels positively colossal inside by comparison.

It's a shame because I like the car enough to make an offer on it but something has to be done about making me fit. As it stands I don't think the Mrs could get in with me!

I noticed it has seat bracket extensions to push the seat back and a lowering bracket on the steering column. Again, never had nor needed these. Perhaps putting it back to standard will help. The old sit up and beg position. I certainly need more space for my fat legs under the wheel.

I just don't know where the space inside has gone though. You could throw a party in my old 1979 1100 special.
This mini feels cramped. Even for a mini!

#2 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:30 PM

I recently fitted the SPi seats to mine and they look lovely but they do make it feel a bit cramped, and difficult to get in the back. I'm only 5'10" and I have to have the seat all the way back or I can't drive it!
I believe the MPi seats are a bit more suitably sized of you wanted to change them without going backwards.

#3 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:20 PM

to be honest i prefer my SPI coopers seats to my 1986 carb mini with 30 seats they are much more solid im as big boy and dont find it that bad 

#4 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:29 PM

to be honest i prefer my SPI coopers seats to my 1986 carb mini with 30 seats they are much more solid im as big boy and dont find it that bad

I always found the single post headrest seats (like a 30) great for space but the post digs in my back through the padding! Also no side support.

I like the early recliners. Clubman seats.

These SPI seats certainly feel solid and supportive. Just too big for the car? Or I am?

#5 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:01 PM

I always found the single post headrest seats (like a 30) great for space but the post digs in my back through the padding! Also no side support.

I like the early recliners. Clubman seats.

These SPI seats certainly feel solid and supportive. Just too big for the car? Or I am?

Yup single head post is digging into my back, so i tend to extend the head rest when it starts to pee me off 

#6 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:27 PM

They huge ditch them and get some mx5 or porsche tombstones and never look back

#7 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:46 PM

Both the SPi and MPi seats are badly designed in that although they're supportive and a good quality, the rear of the seat is too wide to recline or move back fully because of the companion bin. If Rover/BMW had lost a couple of inches off the overall width and also really narrowed down the rear of the seat back substantially, such that they clear the companion bins, they'd be really great seats.
It's incredible that despite the Mk1 Cooper seats being so well designed to fit the space available, that 30 years later the design could be so wrong for the cars it's intended to fit.

#8 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:12 PM

A word of warning about the SPi seats... Don't get in the back seat behind them with the door closed hahaha.
I managed to trap myself in the car!

#9 bangermadness08

bangermadness08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:14 PM

I'm 6'1 I've ditched the spi seats and put cobra classic buckets in instead! It has dramatically improved the space in side! I've had to add the seat extension brackets for more room but other than that it's fine.

#10 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:06 AM

Both the SPi and MPi seats are badly designed in that although they're supportive and a good quality, the rear of the seat is too wide to recline or move back fully because of the companion bin. If Rover/BMW had lost a couple of inches off the overall width and also really narrowed down the rear of the seat back substantially, such that they clear the companion bins, they'd be really great seats.
It's incredible that despite the Mk1 Cooper seats being so well designed to fit the space available, that 30 years later the design could be so wrong for the cars it's intended to fit.

I don't think the SPI/MPI seats were actually designed for the car. I think they were designed for other cars and adapted. A cheap way to address complaints about the mini's old fashioned seats without spending much on D+D.
SPI seats look like Rover 200? Seats to me.
And MPI seats are definitely rover 100 (last Metros) seats. I have fitted seats from a late metro into a mini before. They seemed better for the task than these spice seats though. A little smaller.

#11 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:14 AM

I'm 6'1 I've ditched the spi seats and put cobra classic buckets in instead! It has dramatically improved the space in side! I've had to add the seat extension brackets for more room but other than that it's fine.

I had cobra classic buckets in my first Mini. Great seats. Toured Scotland in them. Very comfy.

Unfortunately I think the Mrs' ample bottom, lovely as it is, might not be comfy in them.

#12 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:36 AM

Im 6'1" and 18 stone. I always need seat adjuster brackets to give me a more comfortable driving position, normal position my ankles are in agony whatever angle they are forced to bend. When we had the Mpi Sportspack the seats were forced back into the corner of the rear bin to get enough leg room. There was literally no room in the back at all, but we had no kids then. Conversely my Mk1 with seat adjuster brackets and standard seats still give enough room for four people. The Mk1 / 2 doors with the huge door bins and sliding windows do give a greater space, as does the open dash wih centre clocks.

Edited by surfblue, 20 September 2019 - 07:37 AM.

#13 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:37 AM

A word of warning about the SPi seats... Don't get in the back seat behind them with the door closed hahaha.
I managed to trap myself in the car!

Did that one myself.

After twisting my neck and popping my spine I managed to escape!

#14 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:49 AM

I had exactly the same, removed the steering drop bracket and I'm fine.

#15 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:37 PM

I had exactly the same, removed the steering drop bracket and I'm fine.

I'll ask the seller if I can quickly put it back to standard to check. Sure he won't mind.

I'm too high up tho' I need to go forward, bend knees, steering wheel up and seat base down somehow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users