#1 S.Willson

S.Willson

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:05 PM

Hi all,

I have a 1999 mpi mini, the heater is blowing out cold air only. I am not sure where to start so any help would be appreciate, also I am visual person so pictures would help a lot.

Thanks, Sam

#2 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:15 PM

Bad heater valve , air lock, blocked matrix. 

Done any work on the heating system / engine cooling system? Do you have coolant in the rad ? 

This is a heater valve, on MPI its on the side of the heater matrix, i only have an SPI and a Carb mini all 3 are diffrent heater valves so cant help with pictures 

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

Edited by phillrulz, 19 September 2019 - 07:17 PM.

#3 S.Willson

S.Willson

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:24 PM

Done any work on the heating system / engine cooling system? Do you have coolant in the rad ? 

This is a heater valve, on MPI its on the side of the heater matrix, i only have an SPI and a Carb mini all 3 are diffrent heater valves so cant help with pictures 

No work done on the heating/engine systems. Coolant tank is at a good level.

#4 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:59 PM

Never worked or just stopped ? 

#5 S.Willson

S.Willson

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:01 PM

It was working, haven't used it in a while so I am guessing it could be blocked?

#6 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:03 PM

It was working, haven't used it in a while so I am guessing it could be blocked?

Yup could have some crud blocking it, may sound stupid, have you tried getting the car up to temp, and having it on while driving / with revs elivated. Not all cars will circulate water on idle. , try find that valve im on the heater matrix check its actuating when you do the heater control knob 

Valve is to left of heater matrix under dash

Edited by phillrulz, 19 September 2019 - 08:04 PM.

#7 S.Willson

S.Willson

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:10 PM

Yup could have some crud blocking it, may sound stupid, have you tried getting the car up to temp, and having it on while driving / with revs elivated. Not all cars will circulate water on idle. , try find that valve im on the heater matrix check its actuating when you do the heater control knob 

I have been driving the car all week with the heater knob pulled out changing between the two speeds but no change. I will definitely check the valve to make sure it is working.

#8 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:11 PM

I have been driving the car all week with the heater knob pulled out changing between the two speeds but no change. I will definitely check the valve to make sure it is working.

Yup just check if shes moving / cable is still connected. If not could be a crud blockage 

#9 S.Willson

S.Willson

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:53 PM

Yup just check if shes moving / cable is still connected. If not could be a crud blockage
So the cable is moving and it looks like the valve is as well.

#10 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:47 AM

If the valve is working then it's probably clogged with crud. Mine was absolutely rammed with it.

Drop the coolant.

Have a bowl and towels ready.

Lay in passenger footwell.

Remove the 2 hose clamps and pull off the pipes. (this is a fiddle.)

Loosen the 2 bolts on the brackets on the bulkhead.

Remove the 2 screws that face upwards (I think), near the heater controls.

The whole thing will lift out.

Remove the 2 hose stubs.

2 screws on the side of the heater will loosen a flap.

Slide matrix out.

If you get a new matrix, you'll have to swap the hose stubs onto the new one. (I would, as the crud was rotting mine through.)

Oh, and clean the valve out too.

Unhook the cable from the valve.

Remove the one bolt. (you can see it through the radio hole)

Then remove one more hose clamp and pull/twist it off.

Contact your Chiropractor. :P

#11 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 12:01 PM

On my RSP, I just disconnected the rubber pipes in the engine bat feeding water in/out the heater, then backflushed with a hose. Took a couple of minutes. If that does not work, then follow Wiggy's advice.

Mrs Apanel was far happier with heat in the cabin.

Good luck

#12 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 21 September 2019 - 12:06 PM

Sometimes the connection on the end of the valve comes off (where the cable would open and shut the valve)

Have a quick look but if all is ok, I'd be pulling it out and flushing everything though.

#13 S.Willson

S.Willson

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:04 PM

So I have take it all apart, currently cleaning it all, flushed the coolant tank and pipes ready to put back together tomorrow. Thank you all for your advice. Very helpful!

Attached Files

#14 S.Willson

S.Willson

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:10 PM

Valve and matrix both removed. The foam around the matrix crumbled, is this an issue?

Attached Files

#15 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:43 PM

I replaced mine with some foam I had laying about. The stuff a PC motherboard sits on in the box, was perfect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users