Photo
- - - - -

Mini Sport Engine Hoist

Best Answer unburntfuelinthemorning , 22 September 2019 - 10:10 AM

The Minisport hoist tool probably works well but I have always found that lifting using a lifting bracket on the head stud between plugs two and three puts the engine at the correct angle for lifting  http://www.minispare...|Back to search

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 bluedragon

bluedragon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:08 AM

I have the red Mini Sport lifting bracket. I had never removed a Mini engine before, ever, but I was able to remove my MPi engine by myself, brake master and servo still in place, with no trouble using the bracket and a engine hoist.

Whether is it the best way, I can't say, but it works and works well for sure. I seem to recall it's a copy of a Works or other factory developed item.

Dave

#17 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:19 AM

It’s a copy of the Sykes Pickavant lifting bracket

#18 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:33 AM

Brilliant response everyone and thank you for all your input.  Seems like the L shaped brackets will work for my situation.

I've basically stripped the entire engine bay already anyway as I'm doing a complete restoration but I need to keep costs to a minimum so I'm not sure I can square £76.40 right now when I can get away with some brackets for a few pounds.

Maybe when I have painted the new front end it may be something I look at but for now I think I'll just get the L shaped brackets from Mini Spares and see how I go.

My garage has some hefty roof beams so I am just going to get a Chain/Block lift and push the shell back when its out.  I can get the chain and block for £35 instead of £120 for the cheapest of engine hoists.  I don't have a great deal of room in the garage either so having a big engine hoist in the corner wouldn't be ideal.

I'll be publishing photos in my Project thread.

#19 DEXISWOLF

DEXISWOLF

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Local Club: Steel City Classics

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:29 AM

Wow i never thought the head studs would be strong enough for that , makes life look alot easier and safer then a old seatbelt

#20 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:38 AM

Wow i never thought the head studs would be strong enough for that , makes life look alot easier and safer then a old seatbelt

That was exactly my worry! Seems like it is OK though.

#21 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:40 AM

The head studs are more than strong enough.

The ones that make me nervous are the brackets that go on the smaller rocker cover studs

#22 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:03 AM

Some of the longitudinally mounted A series engines such as were in the Morris Minor for instance came with two of these lifting hooks still in place which would pull on the even smaller rocker shaft pedestal studs and the threads of the rocker cover bolts when used to lift the engine.

#23 DEXISWOLF

DEXISWOLF

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Local Club: Steel City Classics

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:11 AM

The head studs are more than strong enough.

The ones that make me nervous are the brackets that go on the smaller rocker cover studs

I thought id seen that before somewhere but when i seen this thread with the head studs i thought id mistaken it with them, they would give me major anxiety lifting of the rocker cover bolts ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users