2 replies to this topic

#1 mininut37

mininut37

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:28 PM

I am looking for a new home for my early 1970 glacier white Clubman Saloon having carried out a sympathetic but thorough restoration over the past two years. The car is one of 46 remaining Austin Mini Clubman Auto saloons. One of 6 from 1970, and highly likely the oldest remaining. It's probably one of the earliest roadworthy clubbies taking manuals into account, as 69s are like hens teeth.

The car was built February 2nd 1970 and despatched to Autopalace, Llandrindod Wells, mid Wales before going off up to Snowdonia. I have two BMC headed letters to the new owner from the supplying dealer confirming order and confirming the car was ready. I also have a copy of the factory order form and a heritage certificate. The car has a lovely paperwork history and lots of receipts from the previous owner and my ownership.

The car is running it's original 998 and fitted with the early AP1 4 speed auto gearbox. It is also still running it's original hydro suspension. This all makes for a really nice drive. The car is still only on 41k miles with mots and service stamps in the original passport to service booklet. Being 4 weeks away from being a 60s clubman, it has a few parts from the mk2 part bin. 69 dated glass, mk2 boot, chrome switch gear and central ignition, early interior light. Copper top radiator and a couple of late 69 engine ancillaries. It also has the bonnet stay on the passengers side, an early clubman feature. The car is standard apart from 5 x 10 GB minilites and a 13" steering wheel which the 2nd owner fitted and I quite liked. I fitted a cooper freeflow manifold, RC40 and alloy inlet. Original manifold and a set of 10" steels with clubman hubcaps included in sale.

I am the 3rd owner. The original owner (oldest lady in Wales at the time of her death) bought the car in her mid 60s and then gave the car to her grandson in the late 80s when she hung up her driving gloves! The second owner and his wife ran the car happily until 2007, when it was tucked away. It popped up on eBay early 2017 and I got in there first.

The interior is mint and all I had to do was fit a Newton Commercial carpet set. Both subframes are original and were completely stripped and refurbed. The engine and box were removed, degreased and repainted in BMC green. The engine bay was freshened too. All brakes pipes and linings were changed and a new master cylinder fitted. Bodywise the the car was solid but tired. It had new sills and jacking point repairs. One A-panel, a scuttle corner and a driver's side floor only because it had been jacked up and badly repaired. It has approx. 60% original paint and therefore has a few blemishes in line with it being 50 years old next year. The whole underside was stripped back and covered in white Shultz underseal which is a nice colour match with the body.

The car should appear in the British Mini Club magazine next quarter and Miniworld have just done a photo shoot with a pending feature.

I'm looking to move onto the next project and find a good home for the car. It drives very sweetly, the gearbox works well and happily runs manually. It cruises very nicely at 45-50mph. It has MOT until mid December, but is obviously MOT exempt.

It was valued by the British Mini Club at £14k but I'm being realistic and asking £10,500. Happy to answer any questions. Message for more details or if you'd like to talk in person.

Thanks,

Alex

Attached Files

#2 mininut37

mininut37

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:31 PM

Just to add, I may be interested in a part exchange for something Mk1, Mk2 or Mk3 shaped, project or running with cash either way. Another Clubman saloon, or possibly estate would certainly be of interest.

#3 mininut37

mininut37

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 07:04 PM

Price reduced to £9850

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users