#1 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:02 PM

Hi Guys,

so I have made leather strap door handle for my car, and I have basically 3 designs for which I would like your opinions. those are custom made prototypes of cours, using thick leather and stainless eyelets:

Design 1 uses 5mm eyelets all the way with embossing

Attached File  DSCF0648-W600.jpg   17.65K   4 downloads

Design 2 uses 8mm eyelets, only 3 in that case.

Attached File  DSCF0649-W600.jpg   18.32K   1 downloads

Design 3 uses 9.4mm eyelets, a lot bigger then

Attached File  DSCF0647-W600.jpg   18.17K   1 downloads

I made a little bracket so you can see how it bends on the door. (because my car is at the shop right now, to figure out something I could not figure out myself)  :D

Design 1 is more fluide. Design 2 and 3 are more rigid and therefore take a less curvy aspect, more segmented.

what do you think ?  :proud:

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:15 PM

I like a short cord and tassel.

#3 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:50 PM

I like a short cord and tassel.

I'm not sure your dissolute lifestyle should be mentioned on a public forum :P .

....so I have made leather strap door handle for my car, and I have basically 3 designs for which I would like your opinions....

what do you think ?  :proud:

Always nice to see someone making the effort to do something a little different.

For me it would be the 8mm eyelets but using 8mm washers under the screws or 5x8mm eyelets & screws with a bigger head.

It lacks symmetry & just doesn't look balanced if you make the screw locations a feature but of a different size.

#4 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 06:03 PM

Thanks! I have been testing here and there. 8mm does not really work on the outer eyelet because the screws have a max diameter in the door panels. I'll ses if I Can find alternative screw heads that are 8mm compatible, stainless and look decent :)

Cheers !

#5 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 06:04 PM

I like number 1, 

also think it would be good if you could make the screw holes like grooves and put some like some curved steel like those relfectors bike ******* hit on their ankles and they wrap, so the door handle goes flush or arches. 

#6 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 06:05 PM

I vote for design 2.  It all looks in proportion with itself and just looks right.

#7 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 06:10 PM

I like number 1,

also think it would be good if you could make the screw holes like grooves and put some like some curved steel like those relfectors bike ******* hit on their ankles and they wrap, so the door handle goes flush or arches.

Ah Indeed that's a good Idea ! I'll look into that.

#8 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 06:53 PM

Hi Benoit
I don't particularly like the eyelets even the ones used to hold the screw fixings. After they have been used 500 times they are going to curl and look tatty, leather being leather. Have you thought of an attach case type leather handle which would hold the handle off the door with a stiffener to retain its shape.

#9 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 07:12 PM

Hi Benoit
I don't particularly like the eyelets even the ones used to hold the screw fixings. After they have been used 500 times they are going to curl and look tatty, leather being leather. Have you thought of an attach case type leather handle which would hold the handle off the door with a stiffener to retain its shape.

Yes, it is a very good point! And I put in some work on that. I have in fact some prototypes using some kind of stiff backing. However, I did not like the touch of it so I moved to a thicker leather.

One of the reason I use Eyelet is exactly what you mention: i bought some leather handle a while ago, they were plain and as you said they became a bit saggy. Eyelet has 2 roles here:
It's primary usage is to make the part much stiffer: you have to see it as a metal sandwidch : for instance the 9.4mm eyelet has an external diameter of 22mm, on top ans under the belt.

I did experiment actually on that, Hence the various eyelet:
5mm has no effet on stiffness
9.4 is very rigid. 8mm is ok. It has a 16mm metal footprint.

Oh and as for the second reason: it looks kinda cool :)

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 September 2019 - 07:22 PM

Kinda depends on what the rest of the interior is like.

#11 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 07:23 PM

True

#12 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 07:35 PM

Hi Benoit

Yes, it is a very good point! And I put in some work on that. I have in fact some prototypes using some kind of stiff backing. However, I did not like the touch of it so I moved to a thicker leather.

One of the reason I use Eyelet is exactly what you mention: i bought some leather handle a while ago, they were plain and as you said they became a bit saggy. Eyelet has 2 roles here:
It's primary usage is to make the part much stiffer: you have to see it as a metal sandwidch : for instance the 9.4mm eyelet has an external diameter of 22mm, on top ans under the belt.

I did experiment actually on that, Hence the various eyelet:
5mm has no effet on stiffness
9.4 is very rigid. 8mm is ok. It has a 16mm metal footprint.

Oh and as for the second reason: it looks kinda cool :)

Ok you like the eyelet look that's fine I would suggest then that you rethink the eyelet fixings as over time those will not keep their shape and would suggest some type of fixing that would hold the leather across its whole width

Attached Files

#13 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 07:59 PM

It is a good Idea, I'll look into that

#14 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:12 PM

Design 3 for me

#15 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:48 AM

I just used the cooper design dwgs that can be found on the net and just bent some up. But plain alloy suits my build.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users