3 replies to this topic

#1 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 11:05 AM

Hi, I have a 1979 mini 850 and have recently changed the bulb for the indicators on the Speedo. The other night I was driving home at night and realised that my dipped beam wouldn't work. I could either have side lights, full beam or nothing. The full beam doesn't stay on anymore when the stalk is pushed away either. I've traced the wires back to the rear of the Speedo but haven't been able to test them as I'd have to strip them to use my multimeter. The bullet connectors for the dipped beam on the front grille are getting no voltage so I suspect that the issue is somewhere in the wiring between this and the switch. Anyone got any ideas as to what this could be or how to find the exact cause of the fault?
Dan

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 29 September 2019 - 02:57 PM

You say the full beam stalk is faulty, make sure there is power into the stalk and main switch, then change the stalk and see what happens

#3 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 03:23 PM

You say the full beam stalk is faulty, make sure there is power into the stalk and main switch, then change the stalk and see what happens

Thanks. I use it daily so for now I've switched the side light feed with the dipped feed but I'm taking it off the road soon so I'll give that a go. I can still use the full beam: I just have to hold it on; and the dipped beams now light up when the side lights are turned on so it is usable for now.

#4 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:42 AM

Unplug the stalk connector at the steering column and than using a short lenght of cable first join the blue to blue /white and than blue to blue/red. If the main and dip lights work each time than the problem is the stalk which seems likley as the main beam won't stay on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users