Photo
- - - - -

Rear Sub Frame Hessian Pads And Trailer Arm With Two Bearings?

suspension

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mogman

Mogman

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:39 PM

Good Evening,

I'm doing Project Prim, and have a few questions.

Taken off the rear Sub-frame found rot so replacing with new. The old frame had three hessian pads between the frame and the body, one on each of the two side rails and one towards the front of the car. Not sure if they should be there (but they held water) or some one in the past has tried to reduce banging??? Photo of pads in wheel well.

IMG-3190.jpg

Also one of the rear tailing arms has two roller bearings fitted. I have purchase rebuild kits for both rear arms and assume this is wrong and will have to replace with one bearing and one bush which need reaming, going to take to a local machine shop to do this part.

Thanks Chris and Lily

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:50 PM

The hessian pads are there as standard for vibration / rubbing purposes. Chin them off and if you really want something there then use some thick rubber.

As for the radius arm with two bearings fitted, this does happen occasionally. You may find the bush will not fit if the outer dimension is not the same size as the roller bearing.

#3 Mogman

Mogman

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:32 PM

Thick rubber sounds like a plan, I see what i can find.

Once i have removed the roller bearing will see if the bush will fit. Would it be to large a hole for it to hold the bush? or to small?

thnaks Neil for your reply

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:55 PM

Once i have removed the roller bearing will see if the bush will fit. Would it be to large a hole for it to hold the bush? or to small?

Too large.

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:05 PM

In your repair kits compare the external dia of the bush with the bearing. That will answer your question.

And as to Deadsquares blunt reply, i personally do not add anything, just make sure you have clearance between the subframe and floor. And when i say thick rubber, it needs to be no thicker than the hessian if you decide to go down that route.

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:13 PM

Two bearings is not uncommon where the bush had been worn through. the Metro had two bearings as standard.

#7 Mogman

Mogman

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:13 PM

Thank You Both, 

Hope the hole is not too large as new/refurbish arms are not cheap! Just googled them. jury is out on the rubber pads, will see how things look when offering up with some different size rubber pads to hand just in case.

Thanks again.

#8 Mogman

Mogman

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:21 PM

The front has two roller bearings as I found when stripped, so is having two on the rear an issue, would be easier to have the other arm enlarged to accept a bearing so would match a metro or is this a frowned upon?

One of the arms was stiff can't rembember now which one, it may be because the roller bearing has be forced in and was to tight on the shaft?

Plan to remove the bearings once my new inner bearing puller arrives so may all become clear then.

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:50 PM

Re doing trailing arms yourself is not worth it. Just exchange them for some ready done ones. Then you don’t have to worry about reaming the bush to size and parallel with the bearing.

#10 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:50 AM

As nick said not worth the repair, I’ve plenty of recon arms instock £60+ £40 exchange

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users