#1 MikeJE

MikeJE

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Local Club: LSMO

Posted 05 October 2019 - 03:52 PM

I know this has been discussed before, but I am unable to find the answer so grateful for advice. My traveller has single line brakes with 7.5 in front disks and single leading shoe rears. I have just replaced the front calipers (bleed screw upwards!) and a rear slave cylinder and tried to bleed the system. Following previous advice I have used an eezibleed and am quite sure I have cleared all the air out of the system, but the brake pedal still goes to the floor with no resistance at all, to the point that I even checked it was still connected! Is this still likely to be an issue with bleeding, or do I need to remove the (tin can) master cylinder and use a repair kit? It worked perfectly before, but has been standing for over a year. Grateful for any thoughts

Best wishes

Mike

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 05 October 2019 - 03:55 PM

Try pumping the brakes as well as using the Easibleed. A combination of both is sometimes enough to sort things out.

#3 rww

rww

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 04:31 PM

I bought an eazibleed but I found it messy and lost patience and confidence. Reverted back to two persons, one in drivers seat pumping the brake pedal, the other bleeding the calipers and cylinders.

You need to make sure the master cylinder is working ok. Disconnect the master cylinder pipe either at the cylinder or at the bulkhead teepiece and get someone to pump the brake pedal. Once you know you have good pressure on the output side of the master cylinder then continue bleeding the system, farthest point first then ending up at the drivers side caliper. You may have to repeat this several/many times to get a firm and high pedal. 

#4 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 06:08 PM

Hi Mike

Give us a bit more meat on the bones and let us know the year of the car and model

You either have a bleed issue, something leaking or something caput, we just need to see what method of bleeding you are doing as well -all to help you in a definitive way to find the issue.

#5 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:10 PM

Open both rear nipples before connecting the eezibleed to the tyre. Let the fluid run through as normal until no air buubles then close the nipples. Then do the front brakes.

#6 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:01 AM

I gave up using the eazibleed kit some time ago. I found it too fiddly and messy. I use the two person technique on my cars no problem. But as suggested above some more detail would be helpful. It is possible for air to enter via a union with no sign of a leak.

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:04 AM

Does the system pressure when you rapidly pump the pedal?

Personally I'd open the drivers front and one of the rear bleed nipples then pump rapidly until it expels fluid

#8 MikeJE

MikeJE

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 07:52 PM

Many thanks everyone always very grateful for your advice. Not sure I can provide much more information: it’s a traveller 1962 and I believe it has the original rear drums with a single slave cylinder and cooper 7.5 disks on the front. And it’s single line. Using the eezibleed I have fluid coming out of all 4 wheels with no air, but the pedal has no resistance at all. I have tried pumping the pedal but stil nothing at all. I will try undoing the outlet pipe from the master cylinder to see if there is any pressure and, if not, is it safe to assume it’s the master cylinder seals? I certainly agree about the eezibleed being messy...I have more fluid on the floor than in the collector!
Best wishes, and thanks
Mike

Edited by MikeJE, 06 October 2019 - 07:53 PM.

#9 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:08 PM

Have you checked the wheel cylinders for fluid weep?

#10 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:17 PM

Heard a good one today about brakes ...

My classic car club supplies refurbished/sleeved brake cylinders but due to insurance issues we cannot supply them with the seals fitted, so they are supplied separately, but packaged in same box. Heard from a member that the garage they used to fit them were struggling to bleed the brakes after fitting the new cylinders and kept getting leaks ...

Yup! Got it in one ...

#11 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:37 AM

Hi

A 62 traveller - nice !

Is the master the same age?   If so, I think that may be an issue.  Additionally,  if the flexis are old, the walls of the flexis collapse, so another issue

I don't know what you have ever replaced or has been replaced - so may be a good time to address the system

#12 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:57 AM

Agreed. If you're using an Eezibleed it's possible to bleed the brakes fully and still have a master cylinder that won't pressurise the fluid, its highly likely your master cylinder seals have gone. Repair kit or complete master cylinder needed depending upon the internal condition of what you've got.

Personally I'd bleed the old way with some else pushing the pedal, in my experience you get far better results than with an Eazibleed.

#13 MikeJE

MikeJE

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:32 AM

Many thanks again. I will try bleeding the old way and find out if there is pressure at the master cylinder outlet. If not I will try to replace the MC seals as I think it is the original (grey tin can, but I am sure the seals would have been replaced at some time!). The pipes have all been replaced in the not too distant past so I don't think there is an issue there. And yes, checked for fluid weep and all seems fine, thanks.

I will report back when I have tried the MC pressure at the outlet and bleeding without the eezibleed, although I am beginning to think it will require a MC overhaul.

Once again, thank you everyone for your helpful advice.

With best wishes

Mike

#14 MikeJE

MikeJE

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:41 PM

I removed the outlet pipe from the master cylinder and no amount of pumping the pedal would persuade fluid to come out, so repair kit ordered. Very grateful for everyone’s comments, to which I shall revert when it’s time to bleed the system when it’s all back together.
All best wishes
Mike

#15 jaysmini1983

jaysmini1983

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Local Club: West Country Mini's

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:09 PM

Open both rear nipples before connecting the eezibleed to the tyre. Let the fluid run through as normal until no air buubles then close the nipples. Then do the front brakes.

should you not do one at a time? thats what i have always done with a cheap £4.99 easybleed kit, never had any problems.

this kit, however im nothing to do with the video, just for reference. 

Edited by jaysmini1983, 08 October 2019 - 12:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users