Photo

Floor Paint Prep Question......

Best Answer MiddletoM , 07 October 2019 - 02:33 PM

Many thanks for that detailed reply MiddletoM - I couldn't have asked for better! Just the job thanks!

Out of interest; did you need to seam-seal anywhere on the underside?

I did seam seal, i think i did this after the epoxy primer and before the stone chip paint. I used tigerseal, thats pretty much the go to seam sealer i found.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TXCollector

TXCollector

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:16 AM

The mini has had new floor and inner/outer sills fitted and various other repairs to heel board, boot floor corners and rear valance and closing panel replacement too.

Majority of panels are Heritage except for a few M-Machine repair panels (which were bare metal) and some made from sheet.

Now I want to stone chip the underside with Gravitex but am unsure of the necessary prep needed before doing this, I've looked on here and elsewhere and there seem to be too many conflicting opinions on what is correct/best to do?

Most of the area to be covered is the black coating that Heritage spray their panels with.

Some areas where bare metal was used or a weld joint is have been sprayed with a primer to stop rust starting too quickly before prep.

Some ares are original (boot floor wheel tray, tunnel and parts of wheel arches) and need cleaning back to remove old underseal and surface rust.

My question is this: Once the 'original' areas are stripped back, is there a specific product that's good to paint over the WHOLE underside before applying the stone chip or do I need to use a rust encapsulator/red oxide type product on the bare metal only and THEN an overall paint of something like epoxy primer before the stone chip?

Sorry if this seems unnecessarily long but I want to do it right and don't want it flaking-off a year down the line....... >_<

Your help will be very much appreciated! :proud:

Paul.

#2 MiddletoM

MiddletoM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:50 AM

i looked into this fairly extensively and ended up doing the following 

Remove all old stone chip
Etch prime the new MMachine panels
Scuff entire area with scothbrite pad
Clean with panel wipe
I think here i added Kurust as a precaution but it wasnt really necessary
2 coats of Epoxy Primer
Let dry for a few days
Scuff with scotchbrite

Clean with panel wipe
Spray on stone chip (Gravitex), think i did two layers, maybe more because i bought 6 bottles, ended up using just over 4
Left to dry for a few days
Cleaned with panel wipe
Sprayed on black cellulose paint

I'll add that this was the first time ive done this but i did do my research and it looks pretty factory.

Etch prime new panels and Kurust on old

20190515_163657-M.jpg

Epoxy Primer

20190517_155044-M.jpg

Stonechip (Gravitex)

20190608_142452-M.jpg

Black Cellulose

20190615_111925-M.jpg

To answer your questions though, i would be happy to paint on a coat of epoxy primer straight onto the cleaned bare metal, especially if there is no rust. 

Edited by MiddletoM, 06 October 2019 - 11:13 AM.

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:24 AM

I would be wary about the Heritage Ecoat as i have said on here many times. Its looks good and is by far the best coating out there on the panels we get.

HOWEVER, please do not rely on that coating to be the be all and end all. On numerous panels i have bought that are Heritage i found spider tracks of rust hiding under the Ecoat.

Best thing to do is to sand it right back, then etch and epoxy prime before coating in Gravitex etc.

#4 TXCollector

TXCollector

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:10 PM

i looked into this fairly extensively and ended up doing the following 

Remove all old stone chip
Etch prime the new MMachine panels
Scuff entire area with scothbrite pad
Clean with panel wipe
I think here i added Kurust as a precaution but it wasnt really necessary
2 coats of Epoxy Primer
Let dry for a few days
Scuff with scotchbrite

Clean with panel wipe
Spray on stone chip (Gravitex), think i did two layers, maybe more because i bought 6 bottles, ended up using just over 4
Left to dry for a few days
Cleaned with panel wipe
Sprayed on black cellulose paint

I'll add that this was the first time ive done this but i did do my research and it looks pretty factory.

To answer your questions though, i would be happy to paint on a coat of epoxy primer straight onto the cleaned bare metal, especially if there is no rust. 

Many thanks for that detailed reply MiddletoM - I couldn't have asked for better! Just the job thanks!

I would be wary about the Heritage Ecoat as i have said on here many times. Its looks good and is by far the best coating out there on the panels we get.

HOWEVER, please do not rely on that coating to be the be all and end all. On numerous panels i have bought that are Heritage i found spider tracks of rust hiding under the Ecoat.

Best thing to do is to sand it right back, then etch and epoxy prime before coating in Gravitex etc.

Noted, and Thank You!

#5 MiddletoM

MiddletoM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:33 PM   Best Answer

I did seam seal, i think i did this after the epoxy primer and before the stone chip paint. I used tigerseal, thats pretty much the go to seam sealer i found.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users