JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:01 PM

Hi;

Looking for advice on stripping, cleaning and re-assembling a 65DM4 distributor.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide?

It came off of the Metro 1275 A+ Engine that I am rebuilding in another thread (Metro Rebore).

There is some corrosion on the inside I would like to clean up. I would also like to replace the rusted Vacuum Advance trumpet thingy :-) 

Also how do I test it, without fitting it to my running 998?

IShslFI.jpg

19k4Equ.jpg

cwmhXu1.jpg

DkmFpRt.jpg

XOvOtkq.jpg

kRQhvgd.jpg

iGwehtG.jpg

EEo3mZP.jpg

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:40 PM

I don't think there's much you can do in the way of testing other than check a few resistances. There's probably a bit more info in some of the Metro Haynes as they had 'em earlier when the manuals were better. Not sure if you could source a new vac advance can, but other Rovers used basically the same units, such as the 1.1 Rover 100.

Looks like you can get a new one off Ebay for £65, seems a fair price for a new cap, rotor arm and spare amplifier module alone.

#3 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:34 PM

I don't think there's much you can do in the way of testing other than check a few resistances. There's probably a bit more info in some of the Metro Haynes as they had 'em earlier when the manuals were better. Not sure if you could source a new vac advance can, but other Rovers used basically the same units, such as the 1.1 Rover 100.

Looks like you can get a new one off Ebay for £65, seems a fair price for a new cap, rotor arm and spare amplifier module alone.

Yes I saw those but was kind of hoping not to have to buy another one just yet. It's going to cost £75 to get it re-curved, so if I had to buy another 65DM4 that would be £140.

If I were to buy a new Distributor I believe I need an Aldon Yellow which are £170 from MiniSpares although this does not say whether this is points or electronic.

On the Aldon site the 100AYV is the vacuum advance version but seems to costs less at £135, but this is definitely not the electronic version. 

The 100AYVI appears to be the same version with Vacuum Advance and the Ignitor electronic ignition and costs £215.

Also found an interesting article by Kieth Calver on Distributors

Confusion reigns.

#4 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:17 PM

I had a look in the Metro Haynes Manual and whilst there is a pretty decent exploded diagram both Dizzys shown are Points not electronic.

dxds3vQ.jpg

zolRZPK.jpg

MhzdkmI.jpg

#5 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:40 PM

Well I have been looking into this a bit more and have been in touch with Aldon, so far these are my options:

1. Try to refurbish the 65DM4 Metro Electronic Ignition myself and getting it re-curved by someone.

2. Send of my spare 59D to Aldon, have it converted to Electronic and have it re-curved.

3. By an electronic kit for my 59D and send it off to someone else to get re-curved.

If I were to convert a 59D to electronic, what conversion kits would anyone recommend?

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:57 PM

looked in the supplement section the electronic bits are there IIRC

#7 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:11 PM

I had my 65DM4 refurbed and recurved by H and H ignition.  Cost about £100 as I recall. http://www.h-h-ignit...olutions.co.uk/

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:49 PM

Yes I saw those but was kind of hoping not to have to buy another one just yet. It's going to cost £75 to get it re-curved, so if I had to buy another 65DM4 that would be £140.

If I were to buy a new Distributor I believe I need an Aldon Yellow which are £170 from MiniSpares although this does not say whether this is points or electronic.

On the Aldon site the 100AYV is the vacuum advance version but seems to costs less at £135, but this is definitely not the electronic version.
The 100AYVI appears to be the same version with Vacuum Advance and the Ignitor electronic ignition and costs £215.

Also found an interesting article by Kieth Calver on Distributors.

Confusion reigns.

Just buy a second hand ebay one, send it for refurb, the dizzy can be recurved whilst being rebuilt

#9 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:27 PM

I had my 65DM4 refurbed and recurved by H and H ignition.  Cost about £100 as I recall. http://www.h-h-ignit...olutions.co.uk/

Thier website is under construction, but they do have a FaceBook page, thanks 

#10 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:37 PM

looked in the supplement section the electronic bits are there IIRC

Your absolutely correct Nicklouse, its in Chapter 13, the suppliment section. A great exploded diagram and the guide to disassembling it.

SXQk8pn.jpg

Also a piece on adjusting the reluctor air gap:

ZsZQccw.jpg?1

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:43 PM

also note the drive dog is offset compared to the mini and earlier ones which requires a different position for the drive shaft when you fit it to the block. this just allows the dizzy to fit without the Amp getting in the way of other bits.

#12 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:11 PM

So it looks like i'll be able to take this dizzy apart and give it a good clean however it needs a new Rotor Arm, Dizzy Cap and Vacuum Advance (might still work but its badly corroded on the outside.

It looks like I can get a cap and rotor arm for it for £11.00 here but can't find which Vacuum unit to get for it?

The 65DM4 that I have is a 41975A and is not listed in the .pdf posted up by @Dusky in this thread

The closest on eBay is this one as long as mine is a 2 pin version.

#13 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:39 PM

So it looks like i'll be able to take this dizzy apart and give it a good clean however it needs a new Rotor Arm, Dizzy Cap and Vacuum Advance (might still work but its badly corroded on the outside.

It looks like I can get a cap and rotor arm for it for £11.00 here but can't find which Vacuum unit to get for it? The one on it is too badly rusted to read any of the advance settings, so I am not sure how to go about a replacement?

The 65DM4 that I have is a 41975A and is not listed in the .pdf posted up by @Dusky in this thread

The closest on eBay is this one (mine is a 2 pin version).

#14 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:01 PM

I've heard good things about http://www.distributordoctor.com/

#15 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:22 PM

It looks like I can get a cap and rotor arm for it for £11.00 here but can't find which Vacuum unit to get for it? The one on it is too badly rusted to read any of the advance settings, so I am not sure how to go about a replacement?

The closest on eBay is this one (mine is a 2 pin version).

Clean up the old vac can there should some pressure info stamped on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users