11 replies to this topic

#1 muzzy

muzzy

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:10 PM

Just wondering could someone please explain the pros and cons of 10",12" and 13" wheels please.

#2 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:59 AM

Let world war 3 begin.  :lol:

Everyone has their own opinion on the matter. I'm keeping my original 12'' rover minilites on my car. they look good, good selection of tyres available, and I'm able to fit 8.4 discs with 4 pot calipers. 

#3 muzzy

muzzy

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:16 AM

The reason i ask is ive been away from minis for a very long time and all the minis back then had 10" wheels.ive been reading as mainy posts etc as i can to try and get back up to speed with things but theres just so much information to go through,so i thought the best thing to do was ask.

#4 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:36 AM

in general terms as the wheel size increases the tyre profile reduces which will tend to make the ride harsher

tyre choice for 10" rims is fairly limited.  not sure about options for 13s.  12s i think are fairly well served

12 & 13 inch wheels are likely to require trimming of the front wheel arches to prevent tyre rub

there's still a decent choice of wheels for 10s and 12s.  13s may be more limited ?

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:30 AM

in general terms as the wheel size increases the tyre profile reduces which will tend to make the ride harsher

tyre choice for 10" rims is fairly limited.  not sure about options for 13s.  12s i think are fairly well served

12 & 13 inch wheels are likely to require trimming of the front wheel arches to prevent tyre rub

there's still a decent choice of wheels for 10s and 12s.  13s may be more limited ?

suspension set up is a greater influence on whether you need to trim the wing or not.

the only cars I have not needed to were ones left totally standard.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,414 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:14 AM

12's were required to fit over the later 8.4inch discs. 13's were pretty much just cosmetic but they do offer a higher speed rating and better grip if you only drive on billiard table smooth roads.

#7 sid trunley

sid trunley

Learner Driver

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:21 AM

does it help fuei consumption ? what about top speed with a bigger tyre ?

#8 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:34 AM

does it help fuei consumption ? what about top speed with a bigger tyre ?

Overall diameter changes very little as profile (tyre wall height) reduces. Fuel consumption goes up with bigger wider tyres, a Sportpack Cooper on 13" wheels has lower fuel consumption and lower top speed....

Mini Wheels & tyres - Bigger wheel fitment consideration:-

https://www.calverst...-consideration/

Edited by mab01uk, 08 October 2019 - 11:36 AM.

#9 muzzy

muzzy

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:25 PM

mab01uk.thats an interesting article about wheel and tyre choice.I know from my dealings with motorbikes that unsprung weight can have a diverse effect on how the dampers and steering/suspension work.

#10 sid trunley

sid trunley

Learner Driver

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 04:06 PM

ok thanks martin ive still got the tilling mini use it weather permitting keep in touch sid

#11 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:54 PM

ok thanks martin ive still got the tilling mini use it weather permitting keep in touch sid

Hi sid good to hear you still have the Tilling Mini, not seen or heard of any other Tilling Minis since I last contacted you, so you have a very rare surviving example!

More details and history on the Tilling Mini's here:-

http://www.theminifo...-mini-de-ville/

Edited by mab01uk, 08 October 2019 - 07:58 PM.

#12 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:15 AM

It should be remembered that the original Mini was designed to have 10" wheels ad 5-20 x 10 cross-ply tyres which changed to 145/80 x 10 after a couple of years of production.

When one drives a Mini on 10's with 145 tyres it can be appreciated how well a Mini can handle. Sure better road-holding can be achieved on a dry road with a 165 section width tyre on a 4.5" or 5" wide wheel, but the pure handling wit a 145 is just a joy to drive with.

I drove a Cooper MPI with 4.5" x 12" wheels and 145 tyres in the wet and it was just like driving an early Cooper. It just felt 'right'. With the deeper section tyre the suspension was able to work properly and bumps were better absorbed. The dampers were new and the ride height was standard. In fact a joy to drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users