#1 jeroensprint

jeroensprint

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 04:44 PM

Hello,

I'm not new in British cars, engines and gearboxes but new in Mini gearboxes. I have a 1991 SPI engine/gearbox and found most parts NOS but one question remains.

What baulkring is the best to use? I want to buy genuine as most of the time these are the best to have but I do read different stories about genuine baulkrings on various forums/articles.

Can I buy genuine and have no worries or are there ones that are better or ones absolutely not to use? It will be a std road car and no competition or show off driving involved. (wife's new daily)

Hope someone can advise.

Jeroen

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:11 PM

I have use Original ones with great success for many years. I do like these because they are 100% compatible with the material of the Cones and so don't unduly wear them. I've read a few bad stories about them, but from what I was able to determine, there were other issues.

I'm not sure if the Rover ones are still available. They seemed to have dried up a while back. Since then, I've been using these;-

https://www.minispar...|Back to search

and have also been very happy with them.

#3 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:41 PM

If you can't find NOS OEM; having seen them side-by-side, I recommend the baulkrings Guessworks sells over anything from the main distributors.

#4 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:56 PM

Have a look through my thread here http://www.theminifo...into-2nd/page-3. Don't buy any from southlakeland mini centre...

I'm still looking for some good baulk rings and look out for NOS ones. I ended up using second hand original ones that I stripped from other gearboxes.

#5 jeroensprint

jeroensprint

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:56 PM

I have seen ones in an older 90's ROVER labeled package and ones in a newer MG/Rover package. Are these both genuine or are the later MG/ROVER ones repro's?

Jeroen

#6 jeroensprint

jeroensprint

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:02 PM

These two.

Jeroen

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic