17 replies to this topic

#16 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:16 PM

It's also worth keeping a close eye at these establishments on where they try to jack up your Mini when doing a tyre replacement. 9 times out of 10 it will be on the floor pans as they take one look at the slingers and think they are jacking points...

I take them the wheel. Don’t take the risk lol

#17 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:32 PM

While on the subject, couple of question if anyone has the answer or point me to the right resources.

The Gunson's device simply needs you to adjust till you get no deflection, measured in degrees. The Laser (trakace) also measures the actual toe-in/out in degrees. Both need you to adjust then re-check i.e. you can't measure while adjusting. So:

Haynes manual gives the tracking values in mm, good/reliable place to get the figures in degrees?

Any approximate ideas on how many turns/partial-turns on the track rod to adjust per fraction of a degree?

To be fair, not just with Minis but I've always managed to get it close enough with two straight bars and basic trigonometry.

I think I have play in a ball joint throwing it out and since I'm used to the way my 64 drives, I'm also going to solid mount the front subby.
Welder on standbye for the reinforcing plates. Post 76 toe board mounts are frankly a stupid design. Cracking is not appreciated. Lol

#18 expat_cat

expat_cat

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:04 PM

As I like talking to myself, my answers to my questions!  Putting them in here for anyone's reference, and also for input on the assumptions and maths!

Haynes manual quotes total toe-out of 1.58mm.  Does not state which wheel size.  As 12" is in the middle and that's what I have, all based on this.

Toe-in/out measured at the wheel rim, at mid point (i.e. furthest forward).

Calculated: 1.58mm is equal to 18' (minutes) or .29 degrees. 

Table on the trackace site (found the reference in another old thread on this forum) agrees with these figures http://www.trackace....rsion chart.pdf

Track rod is 1/2 UNF, which is 20 tpi.  So one full turn changes the effective length by a 20th of an inch, or 0.79mm.  (Which is coincidentally half the Mini toe-out figure).

Should allow at least a good guesstimate to reduce the number of measure/adjust iterations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users