9 replies to this topic

#1 cosmic-dodo

cosmic-dodo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:44 PM

Thrashed out a thousand times I'm sure, but quite fancy the roller-skate look of the 10" classics but I have a '78 mini that's had a pretty good 1275 A+ inserted and I'm presuming they're the Metro 8.4's that were stuck on the end of the Mettys drive shafts.

The question; as I'm tighter than a nun's twizzle, could I simply buy the 7.5" diskies with calipers & pads and the adaptor plate rather than the full kit (although I guess I'm nearly there with the basics above £?)

Go... ???

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:59 PM

Well first things first never presume anything. Metro drive shafts will not fit a Mini.

if you have discs now you will need calipers discs and drive flanges.

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:29 PM

Metro swivel hubs don't have grease nipples & naturally the driveshafts are longer. Assuming they're more likely to be Mini 8.4's you'd need calipers, flanges, discs and pads.

There can be clearance issues with the ends of the swivel hubs

#4 haz

haz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:35 AM

Turn down the discs and make up some custom carriers? Bonus being you can get every extra mm of disc diameter and thus retain some braking performance.

#5 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:04 PM

Back in the day people would take the entire metro front hub assembly, disc, drive flange & 4 pot callipers (vented or non-vented). However the problem was the metro front hubs have a different geometry and as such the use of metro hubs should be avoided. 

Easiest thing to check is if your 8.4" are 2 or 4 pot. If 2 pot then you still have mini calipers and hubs so as others have said all you need is the caliper, disc and drive flange.

Have you considered turning you existing set up down to 7.9?

#6 cosmic-dodo

cosmic-dodo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:07 PM

Back in the day people would take the entire metro front hub assembly, disc, drive flange & 4 pot callipers (vented or non-vented). However the problem was the metro front hubs have a different geometry and as such the use of metro hubs should be avoided. 

Easiest thing to check is if your 8.4" are 2 or 4 pot. If 2 pot then you still have mini calipers and hubs so as others have said all you need is the caliper, disc and drive flange.

Grateful for the help and advice from all above - I'll check to see exactly what I've got first - really hadn't considered turning down the existing disc, not sure if I'll still have calliper clearance issuse and don't really want to be playing around grinding down and having thin walled calipers.

#7 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:55 PM

It's not just the look of 10s. The ride is vastly better IMHO due to the larger sidewall. The difference in rolling diameter between 10s, 12s, and 13s being small in reality but 10s having the smoothest ride for everyday use as originally intended.

#8 cosmic-dodo

cosmic-dodo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:10 PM

Had a chance to check, have 4 pots lots of grease nipples - if I get them turned down to 7.9, will the existing AP calipers and pads fit or would I need a different calliper? Heard some people mention fiesta calipers?? Thanks for your assist.

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:16 PM

Had a chance to check, have 4 pots lots of grease nipples - if I get them turned down to 7.9, will the existing AP calipers and pads fit or would I need a different calliper? Heard some people mention fiesta calipers?? Thanks for your assist.

bleed nipples. you would still need new calipers.

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:22 PM

I have just changed from 12" to 10" wheels on my 1990 Cooper rally car. It had the original shaftes, discs & hubs, so all I needed were the Mini Spares callipers, OE spec discs and drive flanges. However, I did find the original calliper bolts slightly too long and whilst it was stripped down I fitted new best-quality front wheel bearings.

Today I put the Mintex 1144 pads in, although before it is used in any sort of competition I shall change the pads to the Carbon-Metallic ones as sold by Mini Spares - truly fantastic braking performance and totally adequate for very serious motorsport including long tarmac special stages (use AP600 or equivalent brake fluid for this)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users