JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:19 PM

Hi;

I am reconditioning a Metro A+ 1275 - rebored to 1310, will have a Stage One Kit, mildly modified head and an AC RS Camshaft.
I need to order an oil pump and have added this 1275 A+ Oil Pump from Mini Spares to my basket but noticed that there is this Turbo one as well? Which should I get?

I would also like to refresh all of the bolts for the build and was about to add these bolts advertised under the Oil Pump but have seen the note about differing lengths and the need to measure the Oil Pump. I can't measure it until it arrives but want to order the bolts at the same time :-)

Does anyone know the width of either of these Oil Pumps?

Many thanks 

#2 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:39 PM

metro turbo pump I never use anything else

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:56 PM

metro turbo pump I never use anything else

I bought a steel-backed oil pump a year or so ago, but I could not get it to prime up and give pressure. Took the engine out and fitted a turbo pump and the pressure came straight up.

I always use a Metro Turbo oil pump in rally engines.

#4 Earwax

Earwax

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:38 PM

9 gallon per min, vs 6 gpm. 

I have standard road cars running a standard pump and a couple of race engines running a standard pump.  In both cases the greater flow at greater revs works just as the designers of the motor planned. I have nothing against turbo pump but wonder whether or not greater volume has other effects ( strengthen one aspect and the force will then move onto to the next weakest link..- eg fills up the rocker cover or blows past rings- or my untested unproven theory that amongst the misting and pumping how well does our modest 5 litre(approx 1 gallon) reservoir cope - is it pumped out faster than it can return

For me the essentials are

Central oil pick up   and ensure your fit re rotor/ depth of pump is satisfactory.  

I have heard good feedback about turbo pump for its intended purpose- so again,   not against it .

#5 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:25 AM

I've used turbo pumps in the past, no problems with them but I just use standard ones now. Don't think the higher capacity is required unless you're using the under piston oil cooling jets the turbos had. Maybe an engine with a cross drilled cam could make use if it although I still only use a standard pump in this situation.

#6 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:55 PM

OK looks like a standard one for me :-)

What about the width / bolt length? can anyone answer that question? 

#7 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:59 PM

check the bolt length, ivve heard of them bottoming out so the gasket dosent get clamped properly.

also get a spare gasket and use one to check the clamping area, as some pumps didnt have much clamping area,

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:50 PM

I once had a big problem with oil getting into the water on my 1964 Cooper S. Lots of people were suggesting a cracked block, but in all the years with Minis I had never heard of that happening and oil thus getting into the cooling system.

In the end someone know someone who had had the same symptoms.

The 'S' originally had a 3-bolt pin-drive oil pump, but the block had been drilled and tapped to accept the later slot-drive 4-bolt pump. This hole went, un-noticed at the time, just into the water jacket. Then, when 4-bolt pumps were hard to obtain, a 2-bolt pump was fitted. With the extra hole left 'empty, the gasket 'land' was only about 1 mm and as soon as the pressure came up, the gasket developed a small gap and a flow of oil at full operating pressure was pushed into the water. All that was necessary to cure the problem was a short 1/4" UNF threaded bar which blanked off the hole.

A simple problem, but one which caused a lot of head scratching at the time and fears of a scrap 'S' block.

#9 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:30 PM

My old 'AP' pump supplied by MED measures 28.8mm

Attached Files

Edited by imack, 11 October 2019 - 08:35 PM.

#10 grizzler73

grizzler73

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:58 PM

Check the clearance between face plate and rotor. They need to be 0 tolerances to work at there best.

#11 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:05 AM

9 gallon per min, vs 6 gpm. 

I have standard road cars running a standard pump and a couple of race engines running a standard pump.  In both cases the greater flow at greater revs works just as the designers of the motor planned. I have nothing against turbo pump but wonder whether or not greater volume has other effects ( strengthen one aspect and the force will then move onto to the next weakest link..- eg fills up the rocker cover or blows past rings- or my untested unproven theory that amongst the misting and pumping how well does our modest 5 litre(approx 1 gallon) reservoir cope - is it pumped out faster than it can return

For me the essentials are

Central oil pick up   and ensure your fit re rotor/ depth of pump is satisfactory.  

I have heard good feedback about turbo pump for its intended purpose- so again,   not against it .

turbo pushes oil through the system quicker so less sludge on bearings

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)