11 replies to this topic

#1 Grava

Grava

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:12 PM

I have recently purchased a 1989 998cc mini. Today it started making a loud noise when the clutch is depressed at speed or the throttle is released. Upon acceleration it is barely noticable but still there.
Any

#2 Grava

Grava

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:40 PM

It also only happens when the car is in motion.
Any help is appreciated.

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,897 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:55 PM

It could be a engine steady, trying rocking the engine by hand.

#4 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:40 PM

Balk head fixing bracket snapped (steady arm)

#5 Grava

Grava

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:19 PM

Thank you for helping.
The engine moves slightly when I try rocking it with my hands. How many engine steadys are there? I have found two which don't appear to be broken. Sorry if this is a very obvious question but I still have a lot to learn.

#6 BlueAnorak

BlueAnorak

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:39 PM

You say it is barely noticeable but still there under acceleration and from the title of the post it is a loud knocking noise.

Is it a single instance or repetitive where the frequency is dependent on speed?  It could be a reciprocating part such as a worn inner or outer joint in a drive shaft or (hopefully not), a loose brake calliper.

If a single instance it could be a broken engine steady or one of the bushes is so worn/perished that you are getting metal on metal contact.

It could even be one of the engine to subframe mounts where the bonded metal to rubber joint has failed.  As it happens when the clutch is pressed, I would check the one on the clutch side first.

As to positioning of the engine steadies, there is one between the cylinder head and the plate the master cylinders sit on, and another which can mount to either the back member of the front subframe or the front member.

#7 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:28 AM

The steady connected between the block and the master cylinder has a tendency to snap away from the bulkhead. Had to weld mine due to this

#8 Grava

Grava

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:08 AM

I forgot to mention, but yes the sound is repetitive and the frequency depends on the speed. I know the wheel bearings are worn and the steering rack also needs replacement, and I have already ordered new ones last week. Could it be caused by either of theese?

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:37 AM

Not one of your mates is it ?

#10 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:06 AM

It would be wise to fix the bits you know are already faulty (Wheel bearings - steering rack) as "noises" can resonate and appear to come from somewhere totally different to the source. Why look for a problem when you can see ones right in front of you, so fix those first. Whilst doing so you may well notice other issues.. E.G changing the rack will require the sub frame to be dropped a little.. check the subframe mounts when you do this they may well be shot, and are easily replaced at the same time as the rack

#11 Grava

Grava

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:29 PM

I have a friend who has the tools and knowledge to change theese parts and in theory teach me as well. The problem is that I do not know if driving the 30-40km to him would make anything worse.

#12 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:56 PM

Check for play in the Drive shafts also.. if the bearings are going at the front the CV joints could be past their best too. Prob best to get your friend to come to you. Its very hard diagnosing an issue without actually seeing or hearing the car sadly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users