Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,942 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:04 PM

Ok. BIG MONEY TIME.

the gearbox needs changing.

it will be a full crash box. Dog box so two options KAD or MED! 

other option. Do I keep the current remote casing or get a rod type?

i think I will also add a set of the MED drop gears and take advantage of the new floating bearing design. (Or whatever it is called) 

and add the Med Pinion bearing support.

it will really be the last thing I did not do when I originally built the power unit.

also thinking of redoing the external oil system and have a weld on take of on the casing somewhere and block off the hole in the block I added.

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:31 PM

Swiftune do a dog kit too - don’t know if it’s the same as one of the others.

#3 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:00 AM

Don't think there's much to choose between them. I like the look of the MED setup but two things would sway me towards KAD.
KAD'S pinion support bearing runs on its own replaceable inner race but I'm certain that MED'S bearing runs directly on the end of the main shaft. KAD'S mainshaft and pinion support housing can run a speedo drive if required.
KAD'S pinion support housing can be modified to clear the internal shift linkage on a remote box, not sure about MED'S.
I'd stick with the remote box for engine mounting rigidity and less oil leaks, I think it can be modified to take later lay shafts, don't know what the dog gear sets use.
Roller bearing drops are great and eliminate the a/a+ bearing size difference anyway
I run KAD pinion support in a sccr 4 synchro remote box with modified mainshaft and MED roller drops, very happy with it.
Swiftune's kit us quaife.

Edited by imack, 11 October 2019 - 05:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users