4 replies to this topic

#1 plumbo1

plumbo1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:41 PM

Hi All, how do i stop the the input gear shaft from turning so i cnn remove the nut as i need to remove torque converter on my 1975 mini auto, hope someone can help as it a right pain, cheers

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:39 PM

To remove the Torque Converter, remove the end cover plate (and I'm sure you've already done this), lock the Torque Converter by inserting a big Screw Driver either in through the starter hole in to the Ring Gear or there's another hole at around the 1 O'clock position. Undo the Torque Converter Bolt, that's the really big one right in the middle of it.

IMPORTANT: You'll need to fit a puller on to the Torque Converter. There's 6 bolts around the centre. Remove only 3 (every second bolt) to fit the studs for the Puller. If all 6 are removed, then the Torque Converter innards will come out of alignment and there is no way to realign them. It will render the Torque Converter to junk.

Fit the puller, which is similar to the Flywheel Puller (but has a different PCD for the studs) and pull the Torque Converter from the Crankshaft. 

#3 plumbo1

plumbo1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:36 PM

Thanks mokespider After struggling for ages doing as you describe with no joy  I was told that you need to remove the low pressure valve and undo the input gear retaining nut first which is what I am having the problem with as I can't stop the input gear shaft from turning when I try to undo the nut, cheers mate 

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:00 PM

Is it that you are struggling to stop the Torque Converter from Spinning when you are trying to undo the (big) Centre Bolt (that goes in the the tail of the Crank)?

If this is it, how have you been trying to lock it ?

The Tool 18G587 that is referred to here is the 1-1/2" Socket and Bar.

ybrCJLW.jpg

Respectfully, attempting to Lock it via the Input Shaft Nut won't work. It will just free wheel.

#5 plumbo1

plumbo1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:59 AM

Hi mokespider sorry about delay in replying have'nt got to the garage because of rain but still no luck getting it off but i will in the end, Cheers for your help. Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users