#16 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,923 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:22 PM

I think the thread title is slightly misleading, I think the op is asking 'do you start buying ARP because the standard nuts do this'? The broken nut is a Mini******** supplied item surely?

I've just made a small change to the title and I, along with a few others, initially had similar thoughts.

Noted on the bag, it is a Factory Part Number. The factory items are usually good, though, I'm sure the odd failure has crept in.

ARP have had some sub-quality parts end up on the shelves. Fortunately, it hasn't been material quality, but things line nuts without threads and packets of dry lube.

#17 mark205gti

mark205gti

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:53 AM

Oh fair enough. Just my kiwi slang ;)

#18 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:52 PM

I am not a nut expert, but most of the time if a bolt or nut is over torqued then usually if a bolt then there would be stretch in the shank especially in the threaded area, and if in the nut the thread would then mostly strip.

But for a nut to split in half wow!! That nut looks to be a cast item and so must be absolute rubbish. ARP nuts and bolts are expensive because they are forged pieces of the best metals.

As a side issue I had a mini motor do 50 000kms with a conrod bolt that was stretched due to over torquing or poor quality without any issues - obviously it never revved more than 6500 rpms :D

Why I know this is when I stripped the motor the big end nut virtually loosened off with finger power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users