Photo

New Door Handle Design : For That Acoustasonic Amp Feel :)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:32 PM

Allright, so It has been a busy saterday, I can tell you.  :proud:

Following a suggestion from Mini forum member (Chris1275gt) , I wanted to explore the possibility to make another leather strap for interior. And here is what I came up with:

Attached File  IMG_20191012_190057-W1000.jpg   41.69K   2 downloads

picture is a bit dark as I just finished and it's now pitch blacks in the french alps as I write. basically, on my desk it looks like this:

Attached File  IMG_20191012_190328-W1000.jpg   18K   2 downloads

it is a (quite heavily modified) guitar amp handle. it's called a fender strap for a reason, hence the title of the topic today.  ;D

I ditch the terrible plastic strap and made my own (automotive grade) leather handle. it's back stitched by hand using cross stitch point. similar to what you find on steering wheel, to some extend. Of course, again, once on the door, you don't see it. but I know it's there and it's well made. that's what matters.

Attached File  IMG_20191012_190346-W1000.jpg   29.5K   2 downloads

turned out that the suggestion from Chris1275gt is a good one. it's still a pain in the b*** to make but it will keep the strap flat while driving. :)

cheers guys !

#2 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 12 October 2019 - 06:44 PM

Looking forward to seeing the whole door assembly once all your projects come together.

#3 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:11 AM

Looks good Benoit.

#4 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:51 AM

Looks good Benoit.

Thanks and it was a good idea.

#5 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:57 AM

Just a thought, if the strap is flush with the door panel, over time the vinyl of the door panel would get worn with the driver's hand grabbing hold of it wouldn't it?

#6 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:05 AM

Just a thought, if the strap is flush with the door panel, over time the vinyl of the door panel would get worn with the driver's hand grabbing hold of it wouldn't it?

Hi Mike,

Well, to be honest before you wear out a door panel that you put your hands maybe only 4 or 6 times a day at worse, it will be quite a long time, probably your car will breakdown before it.  ;D

It's really not an issue.

I also did modify the metal fixing that normally are meant for amplifiers: they have pins to dig in the wood of the amplifier. here I grinded everything and smoothed all the edge so it does not harm the leatherette of the panel.

#7 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 08:55 PM

Hi guys,

I promised you better photos and yet I did not have the time to do this right... so this week-end, I took the time to do it right. I mean. really, really right  :proud:

As a photographer, I have quite some gear lying here and there. So I decided to make a bit of a studio session. I waited until dark and I used about 1000 W in 2 light boxes. here is the set-up:

Attached File  DSCF0680s.jpg   33.34K   6 downloads

It's really tricky to shoot because of the windows that reflect light everywhere and the care is tiny, so it's kind of challenging to get the angles right: if too direct, then it looks terrible, like a flash picture. if not direct enough, well, you don't see my shirt  :D

after fighting for about an hour to try to gey a shot through the door, I gave up. it looked terribe, so I raised the camera and shot through the back window, getting my light to cast cool shadows, without having all the background. here it is:

Attached File  DSCF0677s.jpg   37.85K   16 downloads

I kind of like the outcome. it looks almost like a decent car-shot with enough mood in there. 

the car was cleaned for the occasion, but the lightbox are not very forgiving, so you see all the little dirt remaining on the floor and the wiring loom dandling from the steering column.  :lol:

but all in all, I think it's ok.

what do you think ? 

Edited by Moke Spider, 28 October 2019 - 06:03 PM.
Please mind your language this is a family friendly forum - my mum reads it too

#8 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:59 AM

Hi Benoit
All looks very arty not sure about the yellow gear knob though!

#9 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:08 PM

Hi Benoit
All looks very arty not sure about the yellow gear knob though!

Well, that's the one that came with the car. I think it's an original :)

#10 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:20 PM

Not sure any of the wood trim are 'correct' but isn't that the fun of owning a Mini? They all have their own individual details.

#11 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:56 PM

Not sure any of the wood trim are 'correct' but isn't that the fun of owning a Mini? They all have their own individual details.

Agreed. The dash is made in France. It's inspired by the custom scene of the 70s. :)

The Gear knob came with the car. So i really don't know where it came from. Always thought it was the original one. :)

#12 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 10:30 PM

Gear knob looks like it's from an Austin Allegro or maybe a Morris Marina. Showing my age here :ohno:

#13 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 06:55 AM

Gear knob looks like it's from an Austin Allegro or maybe a Morris Marina. Showing my age here :ohno:

Interesting !

#14 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 05:37 PM

Benoit just thought I'd throw it out there, but a gear knob with the same wood as the dash? Do you know what wood it is?

#15 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:45 PM

Benoit just thought I'd throw it out there, but a gear knob with the same wood as the dash? Do you know what wood it is?

I got no Idea. But that's a good Idea :)
I did not plan to change it. But if I do, why not. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users