#1 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:20 PM

A bit of a weird one this.

I replaced the lamps on my centre mk3 speedo for LEDs.

They’re very good!

Since then the green indicator lamp only flashes when turning right.

All external indicators are working and the relay is clicking away fine.

I can’t see any obvious loose cables.

I screwed the old original style lamp back in and it no longer works either.

Any ideas where to start looking?

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 04:31 PM

LH turn signal comes into the centre binnacle through the Green/Red connection at the multiplug connector - check you've got a good connection across the connector, and from the connector to the warning bulb

#3 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:17 PM

LH turn signal comes into the centre binnacle through the Green/Red connection at the multiplug connector - check you've got a good connection across the connector, and from the connector to the warning bulb

Already traced and checked. Can’t see anything wrong. Will have to check again in guess. I think it’s wires straight to the multi plug. There’s no connector between the two is there?

#4 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:18 PM

both LH and RH wires normally run straight from the multiplug to the warning lamp.  problem at the lamp fitting maybe ?

#5 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:30 PM

The single indicator bulb in the centre speedo has current flowing through it in opposite directions depending on the indicator switch setting.

An LED is a diode which only allows current to flow in one direction so will not work in the way a conventional bulb does.

#6 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:55 PM

The single indicator bulb in the centre speedo has current flowing through it in opposite directions depending on the indicator switch setting.

An LED is a diode which only allows current to flow in one direction so will not work in the way a conventional bulb does.

That does make a lot of sense.

I’ll try another conventional lamp in it. Maybe the one I swapped it out for I broke as it didn’t work when I put it back in.

Thanks

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:32 PM

As above. The dash bulb is wired between both sides so it uses the non flashing side as an earth. It mustn't earth on the Speedo casing like the the other lights. Excluding the ignition light which is also insulated so it lights when there's sufficient difference in voltage between the battery and alternator.

#8 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:19 AM

If you get the original lamp working again and than want to refit the led you can do it using a bridge rectifier. Cut the two wires and join them to the AC input of a rectifier and than join the LED to the DC output + and -. 

#9 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:22 AM

you can sidestep this particular issue if you split the L&R indicator feeds to the single lamp and make use of the two orange lenses on the speedo face.  does mean the oil pressure warning lamp will need to move to where the indicator lamp was though so it'll be a green lamp instead of orange..

#10 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:44 PM

A lot of older cars such as Land Rover and Triumph used to use green for the low oil pressure warning lamp.

#11 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:44 PM

A lot of older cars such as Land Rover and Triumph used to use green for the low oil pressure warning lamp.

presumably because they were using the same smiths speedo and the two orange ones were being used for the indicators  :lol:

#12 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:44 PM

No they used quite different Smiths speedos and sometimes had separate warning light clusters.

#13 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:29 PM

you can sidestep this particular issue if you split the L&R indicator feeds to the single lamp and make use of the two orange lenses on the speedo face.  does mean the oil pressure warning lamp will need to move to where the indicator lamp was though so it'll be a green lamp instead of orange..

With a scrap speedo and some care, you can swap the jewel lenses so the individual left & right indicators are both green and the oil pressure (in the old indicator location) is still orange.

#14 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:50 AM

I’ve chucked an old type lamp back in now and all good.

Also the ignition light stayed on too with the LED so that’s come back out.

Regarding the LED lamps. It’s really only the two back ground ones that need a boost, the warning lights are fine as standard lamps.

#15 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:59 AM

The ignition light tells you a lot more with a filament bulb. If it gets brighter with revs the alternator is pumping out higher voltage than the battery. The other way round suggests the battery is draining.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users