#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:39 PM

Old video of ex-RAF Thurleigh Business Park in Bedford. The runway is/was used as a holding area for accident damaged, ex-lease, new and scrapped cars:-

https://www.facebook...4716508?sfns=mo

#2 MiddletoM

MiddletoM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:23 PM

its hard to watch! 

I flew over this and wandered what it was, such a waste!

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:32 PM

I could never understand the logic of this scheme.

Owners were trading in their old cars for £2000 and buying a new car at full list price.

Even if the old car was not a classic, it still had a value, albeit not £2000. However, if the old car had been sold for, say, £1000 to £1500, a discount of well over another £1000 could have been negotiated for a new car with no part exchange. Indeed, some of the scrappage cars were worth more than £2000, especially the current or future classics.

Then there is the nonsense about the government contribution. In fact they contributed nothing. The VAT & car tax on the new car was more than the £2000 allowance which they put in. The dealers loved it because they were selling cars with no part ex and no discount to a bunch of idiots who had more money than sense.

Depreciation on the new cars in year 1 was in the thousands as well.

#4 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:00 PM

I understood it perfectly. We'd bought a Mk3 Golf from another family member for £100, it'd been in the family from new and was perfectly serviceable for my son to learn to drive in and then use for a while, but it steadily deteriorated. By the time we traded it in under the scrap page scheme it had two forward gears and no reverse so wasn't worth any more than scrap value, £2000 discount on the new model Polo just released in early 2010 was very nice, not a car that had much discount available at the time and perfect reliable transport for my daughters to then learn in. Kept it 7 years and still got a good return on it.

Edited by Bobbins, 17 October 2019 - 10:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users