mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:39 AM

Hi
I recently done an clutch oil seal change on my mini. It is a pre-verto mini. I did not remove the primary gear during the process, but instead prised out the oil seal with a screwdriver and installed a new one with the oil seal tool.
I did not check end float before reassembly. Is this a problem, considering I did not remove the primary gear? I find that when I try to tuen the engine over, there seems to be some bindign with a sqeeling noise and the starter gets warm and turns very slowl.
Please help!

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:34 AM

If you did not remove the primary gear, then the end float should be ok if it was ok before...

Defintely sounds like a bolt or some other item is binding on the flywheel..

#3 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:46 AM

Well, when I removed the clutch/flysheel assembly, I did notice the c-washer etc on the crankshaft. I did temporarily remove the washers, and niticed the primary gear could move along the shaft about 10mm or so, but I never actually removed the primary gear. I replaced the seal by first prising it out with a screwdriver, and utting in the new one with the special tool to protect it, and to push it home in the hole. So, do you think it is still something to do with something binding on the flywheel?

#4 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:14 AM

The only way that the end float could be any different is if the C washer was put back on the other way around. It may have made a slight difference I guess.

Endfloat is supposed to be 0.003-0.006" aint it?

I would tend to be more worried about bolts etc binding somewhere.

It doesn't have a lightened flywheel does it? If so, did it have spacers on it, and did they go back on? Have you tried removing the starter and turning the engine over by hand?

Could the primary gear have pulled the thrust washer off a little and now it isn't seating properly? Though you'd think if that were the case, you'd never get the C-washer back on.

#5 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:25 AM

Hi, Everything on my mini, as far as I can tell is standard, no lightened flywheel etc.. By thrust washer, do you mean the washer then the c-washer sits over? I am sure the c-washer is the correct way around, and as said, I did remove the c-washer, the the washer that it sits over (is that the thrust washer? The primary gear did slide along the shaft about 10mm, then stop, but I never actually removed it. After the oil seal change, I put on the washer & c-washer on in exactly the same way as they were on originally.

Should there be this 10mm of movement with the c-washer and washer removed?
Do you think it is really possible for a slave cylinder retaining bolt binding the flywheel?

#6 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:48 AM

The thrust washer is at the back of the primary gear (it is a specific thickness to give the right amount of endfloat). I was wondering if it could have slipped out of place slightly as you pulled the primary gear, but if that had happened you would not be able to get the retaining washer and C washer back in place.

It is possible that there is a bolt binding somewhere, so I'd suggest that the best thing to do is ensure the correct bolts have gone back into the correct holes.

The movement of the primary gear is not unusual at all. When you remove the C washer, the primary gear is free to come off the crank taper, it will have been restricted by the primary gear oil seal probably.

You could always try removing the starter then turning the engine over by hand (with the car in gear and one wheel jacked up off the floor) and see if you can easily identify where the binding noise may be coming from?

If it is a bolt in the slave cylinder or similar, remove them, then try again.

#7 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:06 AM

Hi
Thanks, I will try this tonight, hopefully it is just something jamming the flywheel as I dont want to have to remove the flywheel & clutch again!
If there is a bolt pressing on the fywheel, then this is an easy fix! Just have to order correct bolts from minispares!

#8 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:09 AM

If there is a bolt pressing on the fywheel, then this is an easy fix! Just have to order correct bolts from minispares!

Yeah, or a local engineering firm should stock bolts, probably cheaper too.

#9 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:17 AM

If thats the problem then you will have the correct bolts, just not in the right place...unless they have been eaten by the flywheel.

Is it a verto clutch and if so, is the slave cylinder mounted in the same place as a non-verto (as i know they have the longer arm). If this is the case, you could have the starter motor bolts and these around the wrong way.

Or, hopefully this won't be the case, but a bolt in the flywheel housing?

#10 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:33 AM

If thats the problem then you will have the correct bolts, just not in the right place...unless they have been eaten by the flywheel.

Is it a verto clutch and if so, is the slave cylinder mounted in the same place as a non-verto (as i know they have the longer arm). If this is the case, you could have the starter motor bolts and these around the wrong way.

Or, hopefully this won't be the case, but a bolt in the flywheel housing?

It'll be a diaphragm clutch, so the cylinder is differently mounted to a Verto setup (atop the transfer case IIRC).

#11 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:36 PM

rather than order shorter bolts have u ever used a hacksaw to great effect?? does the coil mount to the flywheel housing?? if it does the clutch cylinder and coil bolts would be the same thread but easy to muddle up with only a few mm in length being the difference!!

#12 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:05 PM

Guys, I have noe fixed the problem, and you will think i am silly when I tell you what I found!!! During the clutch oil seal change, I removed the top bracket holding the radiator in place. I replaced the bolts which were too long and the fan was getting jammed with the bolts!!. The squeeling sound I heard was the fan slipping on the water pump pulley!

I did what was suggested to investigate, put the car into 4th, took out the plugs, removed the starter, and jacked up one wheel. Before I kinew what was wrong, the road wheel was hard to rotate, and after listening to the squeel, I noticed the fan was not moving. After I sorted the radiator cowl bolts out, I tweeked the radiator a little on its bottm mount so the fan blades were not too close. Turning the road wheel then easily turned the engine with no problems!.

But thanks for all the effort and advice you guys gave as it helped me to investigate and really think about the problem!
Car started fine, starter motor is OK, no problems!
Cheers!

#13 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:58 AM

:errr:

At least it's fixed now though!

Nice car by the way :dozing:

#14 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:04 AM

:errr:

It really helps when you can get your head in the engine bay to diagnose a problem!!

Well done, an think of the knowledge you gained and money you saved by tacking it yourself!

#15 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:23 PM

Feels great knowing I did it myself. I have never been a mechanic, but have done loads of things like build model steam boats, submarines etc!
Feels great knowing I sorted my clutch seal out myself, as I have never done anything like that before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users