Photo
- - - - -

Indicator And Flash Problems

Best Answer Ethel , 19 October 2019 - 09:40 PM

The headlight flash shares the +ve supply with the horn, so that's useful for diagnosis. Though the contacts on the stalk and more particularly the attachment of the wires do fail.

Not quite getting the low down on what's happening with indicators, but you might try disconnecting the tell tale light on the dash as it's the only bit that intentionally links both sides Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Zane

Matt Zane

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 01:27 PM

Hi guys,

I hope this message finds you well. I've got a bit of a problem.

I'm slowly reinstating the electrics on the car. However, I've run into a snag, I've replaced the indicator bulbs with LEDs and the flasher unit with a LED unit, however, when I switch on the indicators on the stalk, all the lights flash.

Right hand side goes on no problem, but the left hand side is a bit crunchy, and sometimes will work, and sometimes won't.

The car is a '74 saloon, so doesn't have hazards.

I'm guessing that it's the stalk switch, but I thought that I'd ask here incase I'm overlooking something silly.

Also the flash switch on the headlights is not working either. Main beam/dip switch does though.

I've replaced the sealed beams with Wipac halogen units - if that makes a difference.

It's a real head scratcher, any ideas, or is it likely to be the stalk has gone bad?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

#2 Matt Zane

Matt Zane

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:16 PM

Okay, so the flash now seems to be working....

Still got the indicator issue!

Go figure!

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:40 PM   Best Answer

The headlight flash shares the +ve supply with the horn, so that's useful for diagnosis. Though the contacts on the stalk and more particularly the attachment of the wires do fail.

Not quite getting the low down on what's happening with indicators, but you might try disconnecting the tell tale light on the dash as it's the only bit that intentionally links both sides

#4 Matt Zane

Matt Zane

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 01:59 PM

Hi Ethel!

Thanks for the recommendation! It was the tell-tale light on the clock.

I separated the two wires and fitted two new lamps to the redundant warning lights on the left and right of the speedo.

The issue with the crunchy switch has been largely resolved with electrical contact cleaner.

Cheers,

Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users