#1 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:30 PM

1996 Spi.

I did a U turn in the road today and in doing so, gently drove the front left wheel up a fairly low curb and off again. I did not bash it over the curb. Very slow and gently.

But as I pulled away my steering wheel had moved off center, ie, not straight when going straight. Moved by about 45 degrees.

What moved? Rack is tight, track rods lock nuts tight. Column is tight. The only thing I can think of I havn't checked is the hi-lo. But would a hi-lo slip? Would that move the wheel?

This is in addition to the ongoing issues I seem to be having getting this car to drive and turn properly. It's wandering and vague but I can't find anything loose. Tracking can't be far off but still havn't found a garage to do it so used wood, string, tape measure.

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:56 PM

Sounds like the splines on the steering column or rack have rounded off, in which case one or both would need to be replace.

#3 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:47 AM

Sounds like the rack is loose. Turn the steering wheel whilst looking at where the rack pinion enters the car, it doesn't take much movement on the rack to make the steering wheel go well off centre.

#4 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:08 AM

45 degrees is a lot.

I've had the rack move (and I thought it was tight), maybe a combination of the rack and splines?

#5 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:16 AM

What ever it is. I'm not driving it until a thorough investigation. Especially the column/rack splints, pinch bolt etc. Failure at that point is nightmare fuel!

#6 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:33 PM

Checked splines. All good.
Checked rack u bolts....Good grief! Seemingly not tight at all. I found 10 to 18lb quoted for these which is admittedly not a lot but a lot more than they were I'm sure. Minimal effort required to slacken with a small spanner. How have these become so loose from when I checked the rack angle after removing the column drop bracket a couple of weeks ago. Strange and scary.
And yes, the rack had indeed moved! The spline all the way over to the left of the hole and the seal shifted.

I'm re-centering everything and re-torque.

Hopefully this will sort it.

Edited by Algordo1100, 21 October 2019 - 02:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users