#1 FDW

FDW

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:41 PM

Hello fellow Mini people!

So over the next year, I am on a mission to rebuild the engine of my 1990 Mini Mayfair as part of an Extended Project Qualification alongside my A-level courses. By rebuild I mean take out, strip down, and put back together by replacing bits that need it (and the occasional upgrade) and then get the car working again. You may think I could do a lot more in a year, which may happen, however I not only have to do it, but document my work, research and learning of all sorts of skills along the way as right now I have very little knowledge of what it takes, or even how to do it.

Attached File  EDIT NO PLATE.jpg   89.79K   6 downloads

As a collective forum of Mini experts and enthusiasts, there wouldn't really be a better place to start than to find out from everyone here the things I need to know to get me going and of course the importance of the Mini. So this is my conversation with The Mini Forum, which will make up a portion of my initial research and learning from people.

Quick disclaimer: everything you write in reply may be used as part of my personal project research and goes as far as the exam board; it won't ever be made public and full credit will be given to each individual person and their contribution.

So essentially I'd like to get some Mini chat on the go; feel free to add all sorts of input, answer all the questions or just a few...

1. What is it about Minis that make them special to you?
  2. How and why did you learn the ways of the A-series engine?
  3. If you, or an experienced mechanic were to rebuild a Mini engine, how long would you expect it to take?
  4. How long do you think it would take me, a student, learning my way as I go and with little immediate resources to rebuild it?
  5. What are the most vital things I'd need to learn about or consider before taking it on?
  6. Any words of wisdom, or caution, that you'd like me to remember during this project?
  7. What could possibly go wrong?
  8. What tools or resources can I not be without?
  9. What are the rewards from such a project?

Thanks in advance, hopefully I can get a couple replies. I'll be back around here many a time to update and ask for advice throughout the project. (I also appreciate the formality of the post, that's just how its assessed)

Edited by FDW, 20 October 2019 - 07:48 PM.

#2 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:03 PM

So over the next year, I am on a mission to rebuild the engine of my 1990 Mini Mayfair as part of an Extended Project Qualification alongside my A-level courses. By rebuild I mean take out, strip down, and put back together by replacing bits that need it (and the occasional upgrade) and then get the car working again. You may think I could do a lot more in a year, which may happen, however I not only have to do it, but document my work, research and learning of all sorts of skills along the way as right now I have very little knowledge of what it takes, or even how to do it.

attachicon.gif EDIT NO PLATE.jpg

As a collective forum of Mini experts and enthusiasts, there wouldn't really be a better place to start than to find out from everyone here the things I need to know to get me going and of course the importance of the Mini. So this is my conversation with The Mini Forum, which will make up a portion of my initial research and learning from people.

Quick disclaimer: everything you write in reply may be used as part of my personal project research and goes as far as the exam board; it won't ever be made public and full credit will be given to each individual person and their contribution.

So essentially I'd like to get some Mini chat on the go; feel free to add all sorts of input, answer all the questions or just a few...

1. What is it about Minis that make them special to you? well 60 years of people doing what you are about to do, I first stripped My engine down at 17 and made it faster.
  2. How and why did you learn the ways of the A-series engine? by rebuilding with the aid of the trusty Haynes.
  3. If you, or an experienced mechanic were to rebuild a Mini engine, how long would you expect it to take? Ah this depends on the condition once stripped down. but if the block is already to rebuild I have done a complete rebuild in 10 hours.
  4. How long do you think it would take me, a student, learning my way as I go and with little immediate resources to rebuild it? 1 month if once stripped down and then had to get rebore ect new parts ordered and follow the haynes.
  5. What are the most vital things I'd need to learn about or consider before taking it on? I never had any experience in mechanics I learnt from the Haynes with the help if Pro work shops who did the rebore ect.
  6. Any words of wisdom, or caution, that you'd like me to remember during this project? in todays world take a photo of every stage of dismantling and then label and bag every thing, measure every part that rotates for ware, buy the best parts always.
  7. What could possibly go wrong? when rebuilding make sure everything is dust free and spotless bench wash every part twice.
  8. What tools or resources can I not be without? torque wrench, feeler gauge, micrometer, digital caliper gauge,
  9. What are the rewards from such a project? gratification of hearing it start once completed.

Thanks in advance, hopefully I can get a couple replies. I'll be back around here many a time to update and ask for advice throughout the project. (I also appreciate the formality of the post, that's just how its assessed)

#3 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:28 PM

1.  When I drive a Mini everything is alright with the world.

2.  Got an A series engine when I was 16, took it apart and put it back together again, badly.  Got better at it over the years.

3.  I've taken longer as time's gone on to build an engine as I've learned how to do a better job. 

4.  Depends how good a job you want to do of it.

5.  How engines work.

6.  Take photos of parts before and during disassembly.

7.  Everything

8.  Imperial sockets and spanners.  Flywheel puller.  Torque wrench.  Haynes Workshop Manual.  Minispares phone number.

9.  The satisfaction of it being your own work.

#4 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:11 AM

attachicon.gif EDIT NO PLATE.jpg

1. What is it about Minis that make them special to you? well 60 years of people doing what you are about to do, I first stripped My engine down at 17 and made it faster.
  2. How and why did you learn the ways of the A-series engine? by rebuilding with the aid of the trusty Haynes.
  3. If you, or an experienced mechanic were to rebuild a Mini engine, how long would you expect it to take? Ah this depends on the condition once stripped down. but if the block is already to rebuild I have done a complete rebuild in 10 hours.
  4. How long do you think it would take me, a student, learning my way as I go and with little immediate resources to rebuild it? 1 month if once stripped down and then had to get rebore ect new parts ordered and follow the haynes.
  5. What are the most vital things I'd need to learn about or consider before taking it on? I never had any experience in mechanics I learnt from the Haynes with the help if Pro work shops who did the rebore ect.
  6. Any words of wisdom, or caution, that you'd like me to remember during this project? in todays world take a photo of every stage of dismantling and then label and bag every thing, measure every part that rotates for ware, buy the best parts always.
  7. What could possibly go wrong? when rebuilding make sure everything is dust free and spotless bench wash every part twice.
  8. What tools or resources can I not be without? torque wrench, feeler gauge, micrometer, digital caliper gauge,
  9. What are the rewards from such a project? gratification of hearing it start once completed.

is the haynes manual really that good for engine rebuilding?
if so i better get myself an old engine and get cracking!

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,965 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:56 AM

is the haynes manual really that good for engine rebuilding?
if so i better get myself an old engine and get cracking!

well it contains the info you need. but it does presume that you have some basic engineering knowledge. 

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,965 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:12 AM

What is it about Minis that make them special to you? nothing really they have just been part of my life

How and why did you learn the ways of the A-series engine? I could not afford to pay someone to do it.

If you, or an experienced mechanic were to rebuild a Mini engine, how long would you expect it to take? as implied above. what do you actually mean by "Rebuild" it all depends on what you find and measure when taking it to pieces.

How long do you think it would take me, a student, learning my way as I go and with little immediate resources to rebuild it?see above.

What are the most vital things I'd need to learn about or consider before taking it on? find a machine shop/engine builder local to you and take cookies and ask questions.

Any words of wisdom, or caution, that you'd like me to remember during this project? you have 2 eyes and two ears. but only one mouth. also there is never a stupid question.

What could possibly go wrong? it does not run. it only runs for a short time.

What tools or resources can I not be without? A Haynes Workshop manual (not the latest poor one). there are also quite a few Rover PDF workshop manuals that can be downloaded floating about the net. get one of the older ones that cover the year of your car. the correct tools for the job. and someone who can advise you. you cant beat learning under some supervision.

What are the rewards from such a project?

#7 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:56 AM

I just remember wondering why that car had such tiny wheels when I was 4 or 5.  Then I learned to drive when there was a few years production left, so there were still lots on the road, they just looked better than everything else so I decided I had to have one.  I wanted a Clubman with a Zeemax body kit back then, but ended up with a Minus a few years later because they look better, I didn't have a garage and I didn't want to learn about panels, welding, paint and rust.

Always been the look for me, but there's nothing that drives like a Mini too.

#8 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:18 PM

I would ask a few other questions first as you have said you have no mechanical experience... Taking an engine out stripping and rebuilding it is a big task and should not be the first task you venture into in my opinion.

Have you ever serviced a / the car... does the engine run now. If the engine runs...then change the oil, the plugs all the filters etc, and see how you get on.. no disrespect, but if you struggle to do that, you should not even consider taking an engine apart (YET).. no mechanic ran til he walked.. also to learn mechanical / skills / sympathy, service the brakes.. change the pads, shoes....that will get your hands dirty and you will get a feel for fiddly bits....

I don't want to put you off but removing an engine separating the gear box and rebuilding, timing everything, shimming everything is not a job for a "novice  (YET)

#9 smudger068

smudger068

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:01 PM

I would ask a few other questions first as you have said you have no mechanical experience... Taking an engine out stripping and rebuilding it is a big task and should not be the first task you venture into in my opinion.

Have you ever serviced a / the car... does the engine run now. If the engine runs...then change the oil, the plugs all the filters etc, and see how you get on.. no disrespect, but if you struggle to do that, you should not even consider taking an engine apart (YET).. no mechanic ran til he walked.. also to learn mechanical / skills / sympathy, service the brakes.. change the pads, shoes....that will get your hands dirty and you will get a feel for fiddly bits....

I don't want to put you off but removing an engine separating the gear box and rebuilding, timing everything, shimming everything is not a job for a "novice  (YET)

I could not agree with this any more!
This is why I put a micra engine in my mini and not had the A series rebuilt.

#10 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,435 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:06 PM

Had to google "Extended Project Qualification", sounds like an excellent idea. I often think we've  become overly obsessed with qualifications, but I suppose it is the reality of where we are. This at least gives the autodidact a little bit of recognition, even if I'd begrudge an exam board taking money for it.

What is it about Minis that make them special to you?  Back in the 70's & 80's that was a given, nothing came close for fun and affordability. I reckon a lot is down to the original concept being uncompromised* and actually quite extreme (*that namby pamby modern stuff like comfort and safety hardly got a look in).

How and why did you learn the ways of the A-series engine?  Necessity, it was also implicit in the days of clockwork ignition and carburettors. Being able to roam free in scrap yards full of things helped too.

If you, or an experienced mechanic were to rebuild a Mini engine, how long would you expect it to take?

How long do you think it would take me, a student, learning my way as I go and with little immediate resources to rebuild it?  Not as long as most other engines. There is potential for some real engineering though, so always longer than you think to do the job properly.

What are the most vital things I'd need to learn about or consider before taking it on? Very little really, a bit of mechanical sympathy that you get from maintaining a push bike etc. Rudimentary understanding of the 4 stroke cycle so you can at least identify the major components.

Any words of wisdom, or caution, that you'd like me to remember during this project?

What could possibly go wrong? Nothing that can't be fixed, short of physical injury.

What tools or resources can I not be without? Feeler blades, kettle, tea bags.

What are the rewards from such a project? Permanently dirty fingernails.

#11 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:17 PM

see if you can find any local mini enthusiasts or old school mechanic maybe semi retired that will over look laugh at you and help you out

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,435 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:25 PM

I could not agree with this any more!
This is why I put a micra engine in my mini and not had the A series rebuilt.

Well I'd disagree, as long as he doesn't need the car in a hurry and has access to the resources and help and advice if needed.

Two days in to my first garage job, I was tasked with replacing a head gasket and just left to get on with it

It might not be warranted if the car runs well and be more effort and expense than is needed for his EPQ - I have no idea about that.

There are certainly other Mini related tasks that might suit, like suspension or cylinder head refurbishment.

#13 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:45 PM

That's kind of what I meant.. a cylinder head gasket is in my opinion a better thing to cut your teeth on than a full on engine rebuild if you have never done anything mechanically related before... I bet that "experience" taught you a lot on how to go about things.. but each to their own as they say

#14 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,965 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:54 PM

I would say that head gaskets are what most of use started on as we did need to decoke the heads every so often. or when you first got the car in needed doing. this was almost a service activity. then you would go onto changing exhausts and carbs and then finally the cam change and rebuild when there was noting else that could be changed.

#15 surfblue

surfblue

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:42 PM

1. What is it about Minis that make them special to you? Ive loved Minis since I was 2 (I'm 45 now!)
  2. How and why did you learn the ways of the A-series engine? From I got my first one at age 11, running mot failure that I learnt to drive in fields and a private lane. 
  3. If you, or an experienced mechanic were to rebuild a Mini engine, how long would you expect it to take? Ive never had to rush building one, I dont know.
  4. How long do you think it would take me, a student, learning my way as I go and with little immediate resources to rebuild it? Depends on ability.
  5. What are the most vital things I'd need to learn about or consider before taking it on? Safety in the workshop.
  6. Any words of wisdom, or caution, that you'd like me to remember during this project? Take your time, check and double check tolerances, torque settings.
  7. What could possibly go wrong? My personal mantra  :D  :D  :D 
  8. What tools or resources can I not be without? Decent socket set and FBH!
  9. What are the rewards from such a project? Taking something apart and putting it together so it works better, simple reward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users