12 replies to this topic

#1 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:45 AM

How good is Hylomar Blue as a thermostat gasket sealer?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:05 AM

it works. and has been used for years.

thermostat gaskets cab e be problematic though it depends on which you are using and what issues you are having.

#3 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:32 AM

Gaskets, problematical? Yep. I’ve used paper, cork with and without sealant. Seems to be whatever the moon’s phase...

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:18 AM

Indeed Hylomar is very good.

#5 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:50 AM

The 'old' Hylomar Blue used to be much better as it allowed old gaskets to be peeled off intact. This modern version needs scraping off, just like Hermatite Red used to.

Originally it was only available from Rolls Royce dealers down my way (Howells of Cardiff)

#6 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:01 AM

Claims to be used on Rolls Royce plane engines... so should be good enough for our little A series

#7 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:10 PM

Hylomar Aerograde PL32 is apparently the original formula.

#8 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:42 PM

The holes in replacement thermostat housings are far too large.

Try and find some off-cut Butyl pond liner from a fish/garden center;  the latest is very thin so you might need 3 layers;  punch the holes 1/4" to seal on the studs and cut them slightly oversize.

Use Hylomar on the head;  put on one sheet of butyl and Hylomar it;  insert the themostat which should sit on the just oversize sheet;  put the other two Hylomared sheets on top of the thermostat before fitting the Hylomared housing.  Don't do the nuts up too tight.

Hylomar needs to be smeared fairly thin and the Toluene allowed to dry out before assembly.  Barrier cream helps to stop it sticking to your fingers.

#9 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:49 PM

Wow, that seems like a lot of effort, I just buy the blue thick cardboard gaskets from MiniSpares, they don't seem to leak. Worst case, some Permatex sealer on the gasket takes care of it, but that's rare. In the last 10 engines I've built I've only had to use gasket sealer on one - and the head was slightly damaged from having to break the thermostat cover to get it off.

Also Dead Square - the thermostat is supposed to sit in the recess in the head, isn't it? Why put the gasket under it?

#10 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:59 PM

Wow, that seems like a lot of effort, I just buy the blue thick cardboard gaskets from MiniSpares, they don't seem to leak. Worst case, some Permatex sealer on the gasket takes care of it, but that's rare. In the last 10 engines I've built I've only had to use gasket sealer on one - and the head was slightly damaged from having to break the thermostat cover to get it off.

Also Dead Square - the thermostat is supposed to sit in the recess in the head, isn't it? Why put the gasket under it?

Because I found that it worked. With the M/S supplied gasket, I couldn't stop a weeping leak from at least one stud.

With the layers of butyl, no coolant got round recess under the thermostat and none got out above it.

#11 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:46 AM

Well, I'm all for whatever works, I've just never had that much problem with one....

#12 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,843 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:21 AM

I use an RTV on Thermostat Housings. As DeadSquare mentioned, the holes in the Housings are too big and if used, there's often some corrosion, to nit a dead flat / clean surface like we'd all like. I alsi have a (factory) steady that goes in here too, these are steel and also corroded.

For these reasons, I've found something, like an RTV that can fill, works well.

The other thing is some gaskets have a 'coating' on them. I've found with the water jacket, these seldom work too good. I found an un-coated gasket works better, especially if you do an initial fill with plain water as it then causes the gasket to swell up.

#13 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:23 AM

History lesson: When Rolls-Royce developed the wonderful V12 Merlin engine for aeroplanes such as the Hurricane, Spitfire, Lancaster and Mosquito, the engines tended to leak oil.

Hylomar was developed to cure this problem, which it obviously did and it became commercially available in the late 1940's.

It is still great stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users