Photo

Newbie - 1960 Mini - Please Be Gentle....

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 HUNTSMAN

HUNTSMAN
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:27 PM

Hi Everyone...

New to the mini forum and just wanted to say hello...

I have a 1960 Mini - (matching numbers) and owned her for nearly 20 years - Clipper blue - Good (ish) condition and very original car.

I bought her when my 1970 1275GT was stolen, never to be seen again !.

There are so many questions I need to ask , mainly about upgrades and or in your opinion should I leave her stock.... but for now just, hello.

Thanks for having me.

Dave

#2 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:16 PM

Welcome to TMF, Dave! Sorry to hear about your GT getting stolen. Let's see some pictures of your 1960 Mini :) 

#3 Hedgey

Hedgey

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:11 PM

Welcome, keeping it stock is always going to best for the cars value. Though I think safety upgrades are more valuable than monetary value.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:31 PM

its your car do or don't.

#5 sid trunley

sid trunley

Learner Driver

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:54 PM

old minis are becoming rare buy a later mini to bugger about with

#6 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:33 PM

Each to their own, I prefer period upgrades but I've seen some nice heavily modified ones over the years. I'd upgrade it to make it more drivable in today's age...

#7 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:28 PM

I also own a 1960 mini albeit in cherry red.

Mine is a pre Oct ‘60 so comes with the early features like non recessed screens, straight wand stick etc. I reckon so long as the body itself isn’t cut about then you should mod it as you want.

It’s your car and you should do what makes you happy but I would always want to be able to put it back to standard spec relatively easily.

I was at the Goodwood Revival mini parade and there were so many ‘coopers’ that I was pleased mine wasn’t a cooper looky likey. although some must have been proper ones.

Period mods are great. I’m working on mine currently in the guise of the early TMO works minis. Already fitted a 1132cc engine whilst retaining the HS2 carb, exhaust etc so engine bay looks standard.

An 850 cafe racer is what I’m aiming for.

Not sure whether to change the colour in the long term as the early colours are instantly recognisable as such. But I do love surf blue!

Looking forward to the opinions on this thread.

Edited by Minigman, 24 October 2019 - 06:29 PM.

#8 spraybeater

spraybeater

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Local Club: Mcr

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:28 PM

Like some on here I owned a 1963 Super de Lux in 1965 and modded it then! 

now most try to modify their 90s Minis back to 60s style??

Its your car! do as you please.

As a suggestion take a look on The Mk1 forum great crowd on there.

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,803 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 25 October 2019 - 06:36 AM

As said you will also find the Mk1 forum below helpful for standard and modified Mk1's :-

http://mk1-forum.net...289b20dc7046a13

Also the Mk1 Performance Conversions site here:-

http://mk1-performan...k/mk1_index.htm

#10 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:43 AM

Hear here, Sid.  You are quite right.

Hello HUNTSMAN, you lucky fellow;  hen's teeth aren't as rare as an unmodded early Mini.

That said,  I'm sorry if you find this unkind, but if you aren't going to preserve an cherish a 1960 Mini, you don't deserve to own it and ought to sell it to someone who will.

#11 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:25 AM

Happy medium would be to stick to 'bolt-on, bolt-off' improvements, so that you can always return it to stock if you regret anything or want to sell it on to a purist.

If you bought your car to enjoy, then do whatever makes you happy (no matter how many purists you upset!).

If you bought it as an investment/ornament, then keep it stock and just maintain it.

#12 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:31 PM

Hear here, Sid. You are quite right.

Hello HUNTSMAN, you lucky fellow; hen's teeth aren't as rare as an unmodded early Mini.

That said, I'm sorry if you find this unkind, but if you aren't going to preserve an cherish a 1960 Mini, you don't deserve to own it and ought to sell it to someone who will.

I’d agree if it were a 1959 but a 1960 isn’t all that special or particularly more valuable compared with any other later mk1. To say you don’t deserve to own it is a bit harsh! You can own and respectfully modify an early car whilst still cherishing it surely?

Don’t get me wrong it has to be respectfully modified not butchered etc.

Some of the nicest most appreciated cars are the modified 850s and makes them more interesting to own and drive.

#13 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:09 PM

Hello HUNTSMAN, you lucky fellow; hen's teeth aren't as rare as an unmodded early Mini.

That said, I'm sorry if you find this unkind, but if you aren't going to preserve an cherish a 1960 Mini, you don't deserve to own it and ought to sell it to someone who will.

I’d agree if it were a 1959 but a 1960 isn’t all that special or particularly more valuable compared with any other later mk1. To say you don’t deserve to own it is a bit harsh! You can own and respectfully modify an early car whilst still cherishing it surely?

Some of the nicest most appreciated cars are the modified 850s and makes them more interesting to own and drive.

Oh dear;  Have I dug myself in to a hole ?

Although it did not concur with some other Mini enthusiasts, my post agreed with Sid.

I respect your opinions, but I do not regret forcefully expressing mine, to the very fortunate owner, that although others have said they feel that it is his to do with as he wishes, with "A Very Original Car", there is virtue in staying his hand, which is an answer to one of the questions

I agree that using the word "deserve" is harsh, but deliberately so, to contrast with what I felt were some rather 'wishy-washy post by others, as he at present seems undecided and may not have a nostalgic Mini owner's hindsight of early Minis being altered.

Dave asked a question (maybe of many) about upgrades, and in reply it is the opinion of two of us that it would be preferable to both of us, without knowledge of how extensive the upgrades might be, if one of the more plentiful newer Minis was, as Sid bluntly put it, **gg***d up. rather than one of the fewer early ones.

I would be delighted if Dave were able to retain, enjoy and appreciate his fairly rare existing car in it's present state, and perhaps also become fortunate enough to own and enjoy a more modern Mini that might well incorporate upgrades that he is considering.

Over time, most owners tire of their cars and wish to own something different.  I very much hope that Dave doesn't tire of his, and by coming here, finds that some of us are envious of what he is fortunate to have.

#14 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 05:01 PM

Oh dear; Have I dug myself in to a hole ?

Although it did not concur with some other Mini enthusiasts, my post agreed with Sid.

I respect your opinions, but I do not regret forcefully expressing mine, to the very fortunate owner, that although others have said they feel that it is his to do with as he wishes, with "A Very Original Car", there is virtue in staying his hand, which is an answer to one of the questions

I agree that using the word "deserve" is harsh, but deliberately so, to contrast with what I felt were some rather 'wishy-washy post by others, as he at present seems undecided and may not have a nostalgic Mini owner's hindsight of early Minis being altered.

Dave asked a question (maybe of many) about upgrades, and in reply it is the opinion of two of us that it would be preferable to both of us, without knowledge of how extensive the upgrades might be, if one of the more plentiful newer Minis was, as Sid bluntly put it, **gg***d up. rather than one of the fewer early ones.

I would be delighted if Dave were able to retain, enjoy and appreciate his fairly rare existing car in it's present state, and perhaps also become fortunate enough to own and enjoy a more modern Mini that might well incorporate upgrades that he is considering.

Over time, most owners tire of their cars and wish to own something different. I very much hope that Dave doesn't tire of his, and by coming here, finds that some of us are envious of what he is fortunate to have.
You’ve not dug yourself a hole at all. It’s interesting to see how different people view these things.

As you said you’re entitled to your opinion and have put it across in the strongest terms, so I’d imagine it’s been well noted with Dave.

Dave asked for opinions and that’s what he’s getting.

I recently posed the very same question on the mk1 forum and got a mixed bag of responses too. And that’s from mostly mk1 owners not later mini owners who wished they had a mk1 (if you see what I mean). I too feel slightly guilty about altering an even earlier standard car with many ‘59 features, but ultimately so long as I don’t alter the body and keep everything to bolt back in and return to standard if needed I don’t see the harm. I’ve poured far too much money into it to sell it and get my money back. And i do own other minis also by the way which I’ve also buggered about with.

Differing opinions and debate makes for a good thread.

Edited by Minigman, 25 October 2019 - 05:03 PM.

#15 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 26 October 2019 - 03:10 PM

Differing opinions and debates do make for a good thread, but we are all entitled to do what we want with our cars irrespective of what other may feel or think. That is why our cars are still as popular today as they have always been.

Yes sometimes some of the very oldest cars could /should be saved BUT and its a big BUT we are not all sheep and do not need to follow the flock. And a lot of modified cars can be returned back to their former glory.

So with this in mind, if you feel the need to be negative and rude then do it on another Forum and not on here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users