#1 Tripyrenees

Tripyrenees

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 05:54 AM

Hello everyone, 

My little mini was working beautifully until i nearly ran out of fuel, running on vapes to then fill up with the only petrol they had which was 98 E5, since then, when cold the mini starts fine, but there is no idle, as soon as i take my foot of the accelerator it cuts out, i can drive of but it's as if the accelerator cable has loosened off but it hasnt (checked), when pulling out the choke, nothing changes either. After driving or letting the engine run (with foot on the pedal) when i turn it off and back on it won't, the engine won't start again unless i wait 20 minutes then it starts up. 

Problems troublshooting : 

- Fuel is getting to the pump and out the pump (i can't confirm the debit), no inline filter though : could refilling a nearly empty tank lift up any crud that could be in there and block the pipe slightly, not allowing enough fuel to flow ? 

- oil in the dash pot check

- electronic dizzy hasnt moved (it was stuck out in the rain for a couple days but this has never been a problem before) 

- engine oil fine (hopfully not the signs of a seizing engine

- why would the engine suddenly loose it's nice idling at 1000rpm .............

- Battery ? but once started it shouldn't matter .....

Any help or ideas to check on would be great ? 

Thank you 

#2 smurfomatic

smurfomatic

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:08 AM

Do you have a fuel filter? May just be blocked slightly. Also, check the float bowl in the carb hasn't got crud in it.

#3 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:31 AM

If the 'line' was blocked it would be short of fuel at higher revs, not tickover...

What fuel do you normally run ?

I suspect the 'different' fuel might need different timing

Could also be water in fuel, check the float chamber, fuel floats on water

Also check the vacuum advance pipe work

#4 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:46 AM

- could refilling a nearly empty tank lift up any crud that could be in there and block the pipe slightly, not allowing enough fuel to flow ? 

Most definitely!

#5 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:23 AM

- could refilling a nearly empty tank lift up any crud that could be in there and block the pipe slightly, not allowing enough fuel to flow ? 

Most definitely!

But driving with say a quarter of a tank of fuel sloshing around wouldn't lift the crud and block the pipe?

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:47 AM

If it's a carb car there may be crud at the needle

#7 Tripyrenees

Tripyrenees

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 01:58 PM

Hello, 

Thanks for the help, i took of the fuel pipes off to check fuel again, loads came out, i took the air filter off and put my finger through and when the cars tries to start nothing happens, but pushing up the dash pot it started fine, so took it off cleaned it up, new oil in the pot reajusted the mixture. 

I normally run 95 but had to put 98 in as thats all they had, seems like the timings is out slightly now, so will mix up bit by bit the 98 with 95, i'll add an inline fuel filter too. 

drove it a good 40 miles, stopping and starting the engine, all working fine, then left the car 15 mins came back started but cut out x 10 times, stood on the inner door ledge to bounce the mini around and started again fine  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users