1 reply to this topic

#1 johnsinnerton

johnsinnerton

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:48 AM

Ive recently bought an early 1971 Morris mini van.The drivers door is hitting the side body work when i close the door.How do i adjust this to stop it happening as its taking the paint off the side post and the edge of the door,thanks.

#2 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:39 AM

Is there play in the door when open? i.e, can you easily rock the door up and down on the hinges?

If so, then its probably the hinges that are the problem as the pins and the brass bushes wear causing slop in the doors.

The only way to solve that is to rebush and pin the hinges which is a straightforward job and the parts are very cheap.

If you mean that the door sits too far back in the hole and is catching, then you would most likely need to adjust which isn't always possible. It all depends on how much door gap you have at the front edge of the door to play with.

If you have some space, then you can move the door forwards a tad to allow clearance at the back edge. Sometimes you can slacken off the hinge nuts from inside the A panel and get enough movement to clear and other times, you may need to remove the door card and slacken the hinge nuts behind not forgetting the screws on the front edge of the door frame. This could give you enough movement or it may need to be a combination of the two.

If there is no movement, then you may have to resort to removing the door and slightly elongating the hinge mounting holes on the A panel or door but be careful not to go too far as you may end up with the edge of the elongated hole being too large to be covered by the hinge. Also make sure you touch up the paint to prevent rust!

When adjusting doors, always pay mind to the window frame as adjusting the body of the door for a good fit can cause issues with the way the window frame fits the body which may result in you having rubbing there instead.

Hopefully one of those suggestions will work for you

Cheers

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users