13 replies to this topic

#1 johnR

johnR

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 09:07 PM

I've read a few articles on the above, none of which really settle which would be best on my fast road, ported 12g940, SW5 1293. I'm looking at MED roller tipped ones - has anyone experience of both ratios to be able to compare them on a similar engine?

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 09:14 PM

I believe Swiftune ‘designed’ it to be used with 1.5s. Without I think it could be a bit too mild

#3 Pete - W.Sussex

Pete - W.Sussex

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 07:13 AM

Nick Swift told me that 1.5s on the SW5 on my MPI Mini would add 2/3 bhp only. Mine is 1310cc, ported head etc. I went without on the basis that they would be easy to fit later if I wanted.

#4 luismx123

luismx123

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:18 AM

This isnt regarding the sw5 and 1.3-1.5 combo but more on the MED 1.5 rockers. This weekend I heard on 2 occasions from 2 different people that 3 sets of MED 1.5 rockers have broken in my friend-mini-circle. I'd watchout for this...

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,814 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:30 AM

Nick Swift told me that 1.5s on the SW5 on my MPI Mini would add 2/3 bhp only. Mine is 1310cc, ported head etc. I went without on the basis that they would be easy to fit later if I wanted.

did he also comment on what happens to the torque?

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 12,814 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:31 AM

This isnt regarding the sw5 and 1.3-1.5 combo but more on the MED 1.5 rockers. This weekend I heard on 2 occasions from 2 different people that 3 sets of MED 1.5 rockers have broken in my friend-mini-circle. I'd watchout for this...

I would, sorry, put that down to the people who fitted them.

#7 luismx123

luismx123

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:48 AM

one of them contacted med and they are aware of the issue. Wasnt down to user error from what i gathered...but you never know

#8 imack

imack

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:29 AM

Been running MED 1.5:1 rockers since 2014, no issues so far at up to 8500 rpm (standard type, not LDX)

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 12,814 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:32 AM

one of them contacted med and they are aware of the issue. Wasnt down to user error from what i gathered...but you never know

MED I believe are made by Titan. there has only been one better make and that was Windsor.

most failures come down to poor set up leading to coil bind. or people not lifeing the parts. that is to say they will not last as long as standard ones.

#10 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,936 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 28 October 2019 - 03:51 PM

MED I believe are made by Titan. there has only been one better make and that was Windsor.

most failures come down to poor set up leading to coil bind. or people not lifeing the parts. that is to say they will not last as long as standard ones.

Nick, hate to say it but he's right. MED contact me about the ones I bought as they'd apparently had a batch of 1.3 rockers fitted with the 1.5 posts by mistake. Subsequently some have broke.

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 12,814 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 03:57 PM

Nick, hate to say it but he's right. MED contact me about the ones I bought as they'd apparently had a batch of 1.3 rockers fitted with the 1.5 posts by mistake. Subsequently some have broke.

and that is nothing to do with the rockers just assembly error. I would have though the issue would have been the other way around though. Agreed hard to spot but would have raised issues when tying to measure what was going on.

just to add I have not actually measure the difference between the different setups as I have only measured Titan and Windsor 1:5 setup to set them correctly.

Edited by nicklouse, 28 October 2019 - 04:01 PM.

#12 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

I think a 3 hp gain is pretty good.

#13 Bobbins

Bobbins

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:14 PM

I think a 3 hp gain is pretty good.

A gain in torque would be more useful.

#14 Pete - W.Sussex

Pete - W.Sussex

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 07:34 AM

did he also comment on what happens to the torque?

No unfortunately he didn’t.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares