10 replies to this topic

#1 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 11:24 PM

I've got a 1978 Canadian Mini 1000 and it's been having issues starting. The starter motor stops turning intermittently. There's sometimes a single click in the engine bay before things stop working; Sometimes reconnecting the battery terminals fixes it.

I'm guessing it's the solenoid, but I'm not sure where it is. The car has an inertia starter and a ballast so I'm assuming it's this part: https://www.minimani...-1978-And-Later

But, this does not like what I suspect to be the solenoid on the body panel:  Bu1QbKh.png

Can anyone please confirm if this is the solenoid? Or am looking at the wrong replacement part? 

I'm also replacing the ground wire that connects the at the upper engine mount. It's really green with oxidation and seems to be breaking apart. 

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,415 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 October 2019 - 11:58 PM

That does look like a solenoid of some description. It's mounted upside down to what would be usual on a mini

#3 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:04 AM

The earth/ground won't help but neither will badly fitting battery terminals so check/replace those too.

#4 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:14 AM

I took a better photo. Had to remove the heater blower to get access:

9BAtsWP.png

Starting from the left, the first one seems to go to the starter, then there's a red and white wire, then a blue and white, and then everything else connects on the rightmost one.

#5 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:16 AM

The earth/ground won't help but neither will badly fitting battery terminals so check/replace those too.

Noted. I just picked new ones from the auto store. Here's the ground cable that I took off:

BmufjPg.jpg

#6 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:50 AM

by the way, does anyone know what gauge the ground wire is? Generic battery cables are 4 gauge. Was wondering if I can just use one of them as they come insulated. 

#7 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 07:36 AM

I presume that is a Canadian specific solenoid.  You may find the solenoid is alright and it's just the connections which are the problem.  Remove, clean and replace where necessary all the connections to the solenoid.  Unbolt the solenoid from the panel and ensure that it can earth to the panel.  Along with replacing the engine to body earth strap (an insulated one is unnecessary but fine) that may be all you need to do.  I don't know what gauge the earth strap is but don't fit a smaller one or if you do, fit two straps.  Then if you're still having problems, change the solenoid.

Edited by unburntfuelinthemorning, 28 October 2019 - 07:37 AM.

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,415 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:08 AM

There looks to be more exposed copper on the solenoid to starter cable than you'd expect. Makes me wonder if it's been pulled out the crimp?

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:31 PM

Reminds me of this for some reason

Warning: - There is a bit of foul language in this clip

#10 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 11:49 PM

There looks to be more exposed copper on the solenoid to starter cable than you'd expect. Makes me wonder if it's been pulled out the crimp?

That's a good point. I'll have to investigate. 

#11 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 11:51 PM

I presume that is a Canadian specific solenoid.  You may find the solenoid is alright and it's just the connections which are the problem.  Remove, clean and replace where necessary all the connections to the solenoid.  Unbolt the solenoid from the panel and ensure that it can earth to the panel.  Along with replacing the engine to body earth strap (an insulated one is unnecessary but fine) that may be all you need to do.  I don't know what gauge the earth strap is but don't fit a smaller one or if you do, fit two straps.  Then if you're still having problems, change the solenoid.

Thanks. I'll go the easy route and replace the ground strap and battery terminals first and clean out the connectors. There's just too much corrosion and rust there that might be causing issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users