Photo
- - - - -

Spherical Lower Arms And Tie Rods... Ride Quality?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tremelune

Tremelune

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 01:39 PM

My motor swap project seems like it will be greatly simplified by purchasing an Allspeed subframe, but I don't think I can use a fully stock suspension with one. As the track width stays the same with these subframes, and the spring/dampers can be stock Mini stuff, I'm wondering what compromises in noise, vibration, and harshness I might encounter with the spherical lower arms and tie rods that are required.

1) Does the Allspeed subframe require Allspeed lower arms and tie rods, or are there other aftermarket alternatives? Is the Allspeed stuff good?

2) Anyone have A/B experience with installing aftermarket stuff with no rubber bushings? I'm concerned about noise and vibration, but maybe it's no big deal. My car will (hopefully be) a comfortable daily driver.

3) Any other concerns besides having to find an alignment shop that knows what they're doing...?

photo.jpg

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 29 October 2019 - 01:48 PM

what wheels are you planning on running?

#3 Tremelune

Tremelune

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 03:50 PM

Good question. It depends on the subframe, I supposeā€”I could run anything.

My plan was to aim for stock offset and scrub radius to minimize torque steer and weird handling, but that might limit my turning radius...This car is intended to be king where parking and tight city streets are concerned, so the tighter the radius the better!

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 29 October 2019 - 03:57 PM

will have no effect on torquesteer. weird handling is mainly just down to poor set up.

what I am getting at is you are on 10s you will not really notice. if you are on 13s you may notice it over the rubber bushes more but as the low sidewalls give a worse ride you again may not notice it.

remember to seal the joints with covers or you will be replacing them often.

#5 smudger068

smudger068

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:22 PM

I have exactly what you are purchasing! It is fine really is. On new red cones at the front (I would consider standards at the front if you are not fast road) and standard at the Rear. Roughly standard ride height. New KYB suspension. I didn't need to bend the castor arms! Fantastic handling at high speed! heavy to park with no power steering.

Apparently for absolute best handling rose joints are not for the road! But mine are fine. Check out my thread.

Mine could happily be a daily. Little noise due to no interior but micra and A series were just as loud.

My only concern is the wear rate.

Edited by smudger068, 29 October 2019 - 06:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users