6 replies to this topic

#1 dotmatrix

dotmatrix

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 03:41 PM

I know the story. They have to be round and not flat on the surface or they wont spin round and will wear.

Is this true? Or is it a myth.
Regardless of what cam?

The last set of followers i got from minispares were completely flat

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 29 October 2019 - 03:47 PM

the cam followers are a hollow cylinder with a flat end that is perpendicular to its sides. the cam profile should have a slight angle on the lobes to cause rotation of the followers. (many do not seem to have this).

#3 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:16 PM

Followers I got from minispares also appeared flat but then they say the radius is 50 inches - might not be noticeable to the human eye.

#4 dotmatrix

dotmatrix

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:28 PM

Followers I got from minispares also appeared flat but then they say the radius is 50 inches - might not be noticeable to the human eye.

I put them on a flat surface like a piece of glass and checke that they topple/wobble a bit from side to side. These didnt

#5 dotmatrix

dotmatrix

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:32 PM

the cam followers are a hollow cylinder with a flat end that is perpendicular to its sides. the cam profile should have a slight angle on the lobes to cause rotation of the followers. (many do not seem to have this).

Yes the cam lobe top should also have a bit of an angle to it. I have also heard this.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:44 PM

Yes, they should have a radius on the face of them, typically ground on a 38 to 48" radius. An assembly check is to put them on a True Flat Surface and you should be able to just get a 0.001" Feeler under the 'high' side when tipped / rocked.

T1hQbRo.png

#7 dotmatrix

dotmatrix

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:07 PM

Yes, they should have a radius on the face of them, typically ground on a 38 to 48" radius. An assembly check is to put them on a True Flat Surface and you should be able to just get a 0.001" Feeler under the 'high' side when tipped / rocked.

Thank you. It will be interesting to see how long the camshaft lasts in this engine then. It was a used austin metro cam. The ~62hp one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users