#1 Tumbleweed-Connection

Tumbleweed-Connection

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:09 PM

Fairly basic question - will an earlier throttle pedal with the square pad fit onto all the fittings for MPI without any modification? I quite fancy the ideal of a larger alloy bolt on, but can't do much with the standard Cooper alloy pedal that I have.

Thanks

Jacob

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:45 PM

I'd always assumed it was a bolt on  :huh:

#3 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:48 PM

I've done exactly that. I have a pedal from a MK3 on a 98 MPI

#4 Tumbleweed-Connection

Tumbleweed-Connection

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 03:16 AM

Ah, interesting. What’s the difference between the pedal pre and post ‘76, do you know? The alloy cover I like the look of says it fits MK1 to MK3, but not quite sure what changed after that.

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:22 AM

They all look much the same fitment. The MPI one looks a bit straighter. There is an issue fitting Metro carbs to Minis because of a mismatch in the amount of cable pulled by the accelerator pedal. That could be an issue, but being as it's not too chunky steel rod you could bend in more or less clearance.

#6 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 05:20 PM

Do all MPi cars have that extended bit on it or is that only a Cooper or Sportpack thing? I bought an MPIi shell to replaced the rolled one in my 95 (slim pickings over here in the US) and it came with the extended throttle pedal. Seems like it would be decent to drive with. 

I ma going to say that just about every pedal fitted to a Mini will fit as my 94 was fitted at JCG with a alloy throttle pedal. It was not just a pedal cover (like their brake and clutch covers) but a pre-1976 throttle assembly (tiny little pedal) and the alloy bit bolted to that. The same goes for the Paddy Hopkirt and Speedwell covers as they are all meant to be fitted to a pre-1976 pedal assemblies.

#7 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:53 PM

I've got the DSN throttle pedal which is apparently from 76 onwards. Works on my MPi perfectly.

#8 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:40 PM

The only thing it won’t have is the mounting point for the return spring that the mpi’s use so you’d have to try and swap it over. Other than that should work fine (I ran an MPI pedal in my 85 without issue)

#9 Tumbleweed-Connection

Tumbleweed-Connection

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:41 AM

The only thing it won’t have is the mounting point for the return spring that the mpi’s use so you’d have to try and swap it over. Other than that should work fine (I ran an MPI pedal in my 85 without issue)

Yes, I did notice this. The base model MPis actually came without the alloy pedal and just had the standard rectangular piece with all the other, little trimmings, so I'm going to see if I can get hold of one of those and then try with that. If not, I guess I'll have to have a go at fabricating until it fits!

#10 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:47 AM

Yes, my MPI is a non-cooper and has the standard rectangular accelerator pedal. I also remember it on a loan car when my cooper was in at Rover back in the day. Stuck in my mind as it seemed an odd thing to have different between models, but I suppose the drilled alloy look was considered too sporty looking for the normal cars?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users