#1 Lenhamracer

Lenhamracer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 06:29 AM

Dear members

I am looking for studded 10“ tyres for my mini. I need them for a winter rally in austria. I was thinking of having a set of maxsport hakkas studded. Andy ideas or recommendations?

Thank you very much

Thomas

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 30 October 2019 - 05:34 PM

I have the remains of four 10" studded tyres, that were 2nd hand when I got them 50 years ago, which I still use if it snows.

Driven carefully, their traction has often surprised me, but I'm always very wary of their lengthy stopping distance.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:18 PM

There were some mentioned on one of the German Mini face book pages I think.

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:11 PM

Having the 145/80 x 10 Hakkas fitted with studs is your best bet for deep snow and ice..

It is impossible to find good 10" knobbly tyres these days except for the very expensive replica SP44 which Blockley make and the Hakkas made by Maxsport.

#5 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:16 AM

Wasn't there a Scandinavian company making 10" studded rally tyres?  Black Rocket Co or something like that?

#6 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:47 PM

Wasn't there a Scandinavian company making 10" studded rally tyres?  Black Rocket Co or something like that?

Good find, but at over $750-00 for a set of four + spare, global warming isn't good news.

#7 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:05 PM

Good find, but at over $750-00 for a set of four + spare, global warming isn't good news.

The whole global "warming" thing is a bit of a red herring to be honest. Global climate change is the scary one and if weather systems do drastically change I doubt very much we'll be sunbathing in the winter months by any means. We in northern Europe will experience huge weather changes and that could be pretty rubbish (or awesome if you like snow...I do) winters.

One thing I do like about the Black Rocket tyres is the tread pattern they use.....rarely do you see a "proper" gravel pattern used at 10".....the Hakka's Maxsport do are more of a grass track pattern in my opinion.

#8 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:28 PM

The whole global "warming" thing is a bit of a red herring to be honest. Global climate change is the scary one and if weather systems do drastically change I doubt very much we'll be sunbathing in the winter months by any means. We in northern Europe will experience huge weather changes and that could be pretty rubbish (or awesome if you like snow...I do) winters.

One thing I do like about the Black Rocket tyres is the tread pattern they use.....rarely do you see a "proper" gravel pattern used at 10".....the Hakka's Maxsport do are more of a grass track pattern in my opinion.

In the 60s, Avon did some "let's see what happens" experiments with "snow" tread patterns and came up with diamond shaped blocks across the tyre that deformed as they contacted the snow, squeezing wedges of snow to grip it.  The diamonds tried to squidge the snow sideways, so that as the tyre rolled on and reformed, the snow in the tread was easily released at careful speeds.

They were super in snow, but as soon as you got off the snow, there wasn't much rubber at the edge of the tread, so there wasn't much cornering grip as speed picked up, so the market would only have been a few people without a Landrover at the end of a Welsh or Scottish lane, going to the Pub/Church/Shop.

#9 Lenhamracer

Lenhamracer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:03 PM

Okay thank you  for all your comments, I will try to find a tyre service in Austria which can fit the studs to the hakkas. I have done the rally some time ago with very very old studded tyres and it was really nice as long as there is Snow! 
The maxsport are the most reasonably priced tyres and I can only use studded tyres in Austria as they are forbidden here in Germany.

#10 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:15 AM

BMC Auto in Vienne, France can supply 10" studded tyres I believe. They run a few cars on the Rally Monte Carlo Historique most years.

#11 Lenhamracer

Lenhamracer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:53 PM

Just to let you know. In the end I bought the tyres from BMC Auto in Vienne. Came back yesterday from Austria, fantastic rally, not a lot of snow but great driving! The car uses a lot of tyre in the front, I guess because of the lsd...

#12 no66

no66

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Local Club: NMCC (Norsk Mini Cooper Club)

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:21 AM

What brand and no of studs? 
Expensive? 

#13 Lenhamracer

Lenhamracer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:17 PM

I don´t know the brand, name has been deleted on the tyre. I haven´t counted the studs but I can upload a picture tomorrow.

There hasn´t been a lot of snow and I used quite a lot of the thread, with the lsd and a lot of wheelspin...this takes it toll...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users