3 replies to this topic

#1 Jad

Jad

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:46 PM

Good evening, I have cut out the old floor on the passenger side, sills and inner wing. I have just received a new floor panel with inner and outer sills spot welded on. So these are my questions I need help with and I’ll number them to make it easier

1 I’m leaving a lip of the old floor tunnel side for the new floor to sit on and weld to, is this the best way to do it?

2 what’s the best welding technique? I was thinking tunnel edge seam weld, inner sill to step with plug weld same with floor to toe and heal board? I don’t have a spot welder.

3 paint, the floor comes completely unpainted, I have no way of rotating the car so I was going to get a few coats on the underside it before fitting. What is best to use, I was thinking red oxide all including inside the Sill box. Then coat with just a black paint then clear lacquer. Then seam sealer and under seal once all fitted. I know that I have to weld once it’s been painted but this can be touched up easier than trying to spray a panel from underneath.

thanks for reading and your help

Kind Regards

Jad

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,895 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:59 PM

Now personal preference here.

1: Paint the floor with epoxy primer first.

2: Depending on how good you are at welding i always butt weld the panel in place along the tunnel and just before the crossmember. if you find yourself blowing holes then you need a copper strip behind the gap and this will prevent you blowing through. I use intergrips to keep the panels together (see Project Paddy in my signature)

3: Plug weld along the inner sill to doorstep return, the lower flitch return and the bottom of the Toeboard. All of the edges to weld i would remove enough of the Epoxy primer, weld, knock back the welds and then re coat with epoxy primer.

4: If you it this way thee will be a bit of knocking back of welds underneath but if you use the copper strip it will be minimal. Also you may find seam welding a bit extreme so i pulse weld and if done right will have exactly the same strength as a seam welding.

#3 Jad

Jad

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:07 PM

Thanks Neil, I’m not that confident to do a butt weld that’s why I was thinking to have a lip then joint seal underneath. I’ve only just started welding and can do it quite neatly but to butt weld that length from front to back might be a bit out of my reach.

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,895 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:35 PM

Another option if you want a smooth underside to the floor is to joggle the edges. Thats smooth underneath and a raised section inside the car.

I did this on Wills Mini Special. Look that one up using the search function in Mini Saloons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users