Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:11 PM

I have a pair of these. http://www.minispare...|Back to search

I have no front subframe fitted, so thought this would be a good time to do a trial fit. I had to remove the top shock mount to get the liner in but then discovered that the liner cut across the vented near side inner wing and diverted over half of the air from the radiator to the "sealed" area above the liner.

Now despite the liner overall, fitting like a cheap suit, i.e. fits nowhere, it still looks to me that this will restrict the airflow from the radiator.

Also, to do its job of stopping mud and slush from getting into the top corners I was going to make sure that it fit tightly all the way around. But this will surely, totally restrict over half of the air from the radiator and create a dead area of hot air above the liner. I checked the fitting instructions from https://www.minimani..._Arch_Liner_Kit

but they craftily only fitted the off side liner.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has these fitted to get their thoughts as a quick search only shows very happy customers.

I won't mind if you tell me that I am fitting them back to front, or something, in fact I'd be relieved. Although they are marked L & R.

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:14 PM

I have them fitted.  I found you can bend them enought to fit them without removing anything to do so.  I also used to have the old style ones made from more ridged plastic on a Mini in the nineties which saved the inner wing area from serious rot with years of regular use on salted roads in the winter. 

My experience of them in regard to coolant temperature is that most of the time it's fine.  In really hot weather I've found the coolant does run warmer but I've always used a high capacity radiator to offset that.  Mine's a small bore though so it may be more of a problem with a big bore.

I've often wondered if something could be fabricated which goes over the inner wing slats which the arch is then made to fit round to achieve full air flow.

#3 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 01 November 2019 - 05:50 PM

I have them fitted.  I found you can bend them enought to fit them without removing anything to do so.  I also used to have the old style ones made from more ridged plastic on a Mini in the nineties which saved the inner wing area from serious rot with years of regular use on salted roads in the winter. 

My experience of them in regard to coolant temperature is that most of the time it's fine.  In really hot weather I've found the coolant does run warmer but I've always used a high capacity radiator to offset that.  Mine's a small bore though so it may be more of a problem with a big bore.

I've often wondered if something could be fabricated which goes over the inner wing slats which the arch is then made to fit round to achieve full air flow.

Your suggestion is a good one. A box that protrudes from the air vents until it meets the liner. Perhaps in aluminium with a flange to fit the shape of the liner.

I expected a bit of fettling, but if I'd have known I was going to do a hack job on them, I'd have saved myself £100 and bought a sheet of aly and a plastic dustbin. :D

I'll give it a go.

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 06:53 PM

They are a bit pricey for the quality you get.

Stick some photos on here if you come up with something, I'd be interested to see that.

#5 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 08:25 PM

Never had any issues with mine been fitted since I got it. It does cover up abit of the grill and does require some trimming here and there but better then rotten wings and skuttle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users